Price of keeping a horse/convincing mum!

Home Community Horses & Riding Price of keeping a horse/convincing mum!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Mollie 19 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

cutecandi

Hey y’all! I really want a horse! My mum doesn’t seem to know what it means to me. I would take care of it everyday and ride it. It costs money though and my mum thinks they are expensive and that we can’t afford it. I want to know how much it costs in $NZ. We don’t live on a farm or anything and the stables are expensive. ‘More than we can afford.’ What can I do to help me get a horse. I have considered buying land and then renting it out until I get enough money. But land costs around $100,000. and i’m only 14! I can’t afford that! What shall I do?

Mollie

where to you live?

Well if you can’t ride yet I think you should go to a riding school first. Then when you are good enough you can buy the horses for around $800 at least.Thing is it takes about 5 acres to run a horse. Feeding is also a life long cost for the horse. Saddles are aroung $200 at the least bridles are about $55 at the least & those ones arn’t very good all the gear adds up to alot. I’m not trying to put you off having a horse cause I own 7 of them. I’m just letting you know the cost.

Mollie

u can look around and get a nice horse anywhere from free to thousands of dollars…depending on your pricerange and experience.if you are a begginer,i would look into getting a horse 15 years or older because they tend to be calmer and easy going rather that yung freash horses.and also make sure that they are in good health and that they are trained etc before getting it if u r only a begginer.if you are intermediate it would probroly be best to get a horse from mabey…8-12 mabey older…and if you are experienced than you can get a horse at alnt age as long as you know what you are doing.but really,it depends on your expectations,and stability and also the horse and your price range you can get nice used tack from…about 200-700 but i sudjest getting leather because it last really long time,and it is easy to clean and use!bridles (leather)you can get from 35-500 new or used.and girths/cinches(rideing type?)you can get from 10(string girth)to about 100(top quality leather)and the saddlepads are pretty cheap priceing around 10-40 bucks.then the buts would cost you around 15-100 depending on what type it is…you should look around at stateline tack and see what you can get and then i sudjest,before buying look at local tack shops and fleamarkets also horse tack and supply stores,auctions and those things at the fairgrounds or whatever…they sell nice tack. MAKE SURE IT IS USEABLE THOUGH! wouldent want to get hurt now would we!lol

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.