Dog Flinching??

Home Community Senior Dogs Dog Flinching??

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Lisa 11 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Amanda

So i have a 10 years old cockapoo/beagle mix and I will admit he is my baby and he knows it. He has always been slightly more cowardly (probably because i babied him so much) but he could deal with loud noises and such. All of a sudden though he has become very skiddish to everything. Every time anybody claps their hands he flinches through his entire body, and the flinching will continue until we stop. He also does this flinch if you touch him while he’s sleeping. Same thing when I open doors, it even causes him to slip down a couple stairs sometimes and struggle to get to his feet. I understand some of this can be due to him getting older, but it all happened so suddenly, i’m wondering if anything else could have triggered this. As far as I know nothing me or any of my family has done should have caused him to act this way. Advice???

Lisa

I suspect this is ‘baby startle’ which can also occur in seniors.
    Think of a human baby and how it is easily startled and this is what this is.
    This can also occur in seniors; hence my suspicion.
    However, if this were my dog we would be making a trip to the vet just to be sure it isn’t something more serious, like a neurological issue.
    This is your call of course but I have always been rather firmly ensconced in the ‘better safe than sorry’ camp.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.