When it’s time

Home Community Senior Dogs When it’s time

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Lisa 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Mark

I don’t know who else to ask so I’m looking to you kind people for advice…and this is a tough one.
    My live-in girlfriend’s dog doesn’t have much time left in this world. The old pupster was adopted by my girlfriend some 14 years ago and the poor girl gets more frail day by day. She still eats, but has really lost a lot of her stablizing muscles in her rear legs which is already tough on my girlfriend…and me too because I’ve helped to take care ol’girl.
    When it’s time for little Josie to make her exit, I’m, of course, expecting my girlfriend to be in shambles. So here it is…what is a respectable morning period before packing up food dishes & toys? Should I leave it for my girl friend to decide when it’s time? If so, when is it too much time? I will give her all the time she needs, but I’m thinking at some point we have to come to terms with having all this dog stuff around the apartment and, unfortunately, no dog.
    Please help.
    Sincerely,
    Mark in Los Angeles

Lisa

Dear Mark;
    First of all, may I say how lucky your girlfriend is to have such a caring boyfriend. What a nice person you must be.
    I have lost more pets than I can count through the years and sadly, we also buried our newborn son.
    The process is about the same, although obviously it was much harder to lose our son than our dogs.
    In my opinion, it is better for the non-owner (in this case, you) to be the one who takes away the dog’s things. Box them up, tape the box shut and put the box away.
    Now she will have the choice down the road of discarding or retaining the dog’s things but she doesn’t have to make that decision right now and they’re not staring her in the face.
    I always preferred to do this a day after the dog’s death. To do it the day she dies is kind of cruel and to wait is to prolong the agony.
    She will, of course, be devastated by this loss and will go through a period of mourning.
    Again, this is my opinion, but to everything there is a season, so there is a time to grieve and a time to get yourself together and carry on and I think the time to get yourself together is about two weeks.
    So give her two weeks to cry and be upset because this is very upsetting, but after that she should try to get herself going again.
    Get her out of the house. Maybe a dinner-and-movie night or whatever, but don’t let her talk about the dog. She needs to get out of the funk (that’s why a movie is good, it’s a great distraction and there’s no talking, just be sure there’s no dog in the film!).
    At some point she may start to feel guilty that she is enjoying life again while her poor pooch is gone but this is where you remind her that life is short and it’s for the living, and her dog wouldn’t like it if she knew your girlfriend was feeling that way.
    As I always say, the problem with love between living beings, human or otherwise, is that very rarely do you both leave this world at the same time. One is always left to carry on.
    In this case it is her so she needs to carry on and she is very fortunate that you want to help her.
    Time will help her. Eventually the pain will abate and she will be able to remember the dog without crying (and probably smiling at what a great dog she was).
    Good luck to you, this is very difficult but she will get through it.

Mark

Dear penquinsfan,
    Thank you for the advice. Little Josie took a turn for the worse over the weekend and my girlfriend & I took her to the vet to be put to sleep Tuesday 7/24.
    We got home, and after a couple of hours it felt weird not having to walk the dog. I had prepared myself to do everything you advised, but it turns out my girlfriend was quite the trooper. My girlfriend had already packed up all of Josie’s supplies, and we took them with us to the vet to donate them. When we got back from the vet, she cleaned up the last remnants of her dog and threw them out on her own accord. I had said nothing. I think she knew that she would only be torturing herself if say the empty dog bed lingered around for the next few days.
    I think she started coming to terms with Josie’s time over the weekend and had prepared herself for Josie’s departure over the weekend. So between the two of us, there was a lot of crying before vet visit and right after Josie passed, but we both kept it together that night. I’m going to take your about getting out of the house and we’re going to try to make it to a movie tomorrow.
    Thank you for your kind words & sharing your insights.
    Sincerely,
    Mark

Click on any picture to see full size:

Lisa

Dear Mark;
    Please accept my deepest sympathy for this loss.
    I am sure that you did the right thing and that Josie knew how much she was loved.
    I must say I am very impressed by your girlfriend’s gumption. She’s a ‘keeper’ if ever there was one.
    Good luck to the both of you.
    penguinsfan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.