can mice be in anyway harmful to rabbits and birds?

Home Community Small Pets can mice be in anyway harmful to rabbits and birds?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Daniellle 16 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

GioBonkers

The thing is, i have 6 rabbits and we never had any mice untill next door demolished their aviary, there were just 2, but as you can guess, they’re multiplying, i was just wondering whether they might do any harm to my rabbits, as in possible diseases they might carry? And I plan to build an aviary, will they cause trouble there? apart from eating food and seed and stuff any help appreciated, thanx, Gio

SJ

A similar thing happened to me, mice invade the area I kept my cavies, I put down humane traps, caught them and released them in a suitable place. My cavies seem ok and one of then even seemed to enjoy running after them (he loves anything smaller then him). The main thing I would worry about is your pets getting bitten, and where mice go rats come after and they can give a very nasty bite to a rabbit or bird, even killing birds if they are small.

SJ

A similar thing happened to me, mice invade the area I kept my cavies, I put down humane traps, caught them and released them in a suitable place. My cavies seem ok and one of then even seemed to enjoy running after them (he loves anything smaller then him). The main thing I would worry about is your pets getting bitten, and where mice go rats come after and they can give a very nasty bite to a rabbit or bird, even killing birds if they are small.

GioBonkers

I dont think I have to worry about rats, Iv never seen one in our area (apart from mine, I have 3). I think I’ll go for preventative measures when I build my aviary. As for the mice now, I dont think they should be too much of a problem, Iv been putting food down for them, keeping them from venturing into the hutches, and the numbers shouldn’t rise too much as the local cats now know they’re here. I chase the cats off when I see them tho.

GioBonkers

I dont think I have to worry about rats, Iv never seen one in our area (apart from mine, I have 3). I think I’ll go for preventative measures when I build my aviary. As for the mice now, I dont think they should be too much of a problem, Iv been putting food down for them, keeping them from venturing into the hutches, and the numbers shouldn’t rise too much as the local cats now know they’re here. I chase the cats off when I see them tho.

I’m not too sure but in my experience we always had mice going in the run/cage with my rabbit and guinea-pig it never caused any problem my rodents loved them.. but if your worried i suggest taken them to your vet.

I’m not too sure but in my experience we always had mice going in the run/cage with my rabbit and guinea-pig it never caused any problem my rodents loved them.. but if your worried i suggest taken them to your vet.

Daniellle

i also had that problem but then i put down humane traps and caught 5 or 6 then they just dissappeared. i think i might have scared them off also my dog tried to eat them lol but she never caught any

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.