Antisocial cat

Home Community Cat Behavior Antisocial cat

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Lisa 12 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Rebecca

I have a year old cat that I adopted from a shelter. She is in a home with three other people that she refuses to let near her. She will follow me around, talk to me, sleep with me and allow me to cuddle with her, but if anyone else tries to touch her, she runs away. If they do manage to touch her, she flattens her ears and glares at them. She has never been mistreated by anyone in the house. Is she just a one person cat, or is there a way to encourage her to accept others?

Lisa

She is a one-person cat and you are her person.
    The end.
    Unlike dogs, who can be manipulated into just about anything, cats make their own decisions (that’s their prerogative, haha) and it’s very difficult if not impossible to change their minds.
    That being said, if the three others in the house simply ignore her or pay her minimal attention (entering a room and saying "hi Fluffy" but without any further acknowledgement of her and making no attempt to get near her or touch her) then over time Fluffy may start to accept them a little more.
    Right now she views their attempts to pet her as them pestering her, even though that is not their intent.
    By backing off, she may start to view them as not so awful, after all, and give them some crumbs of attention of her own volition.
    Regardless of the species or breed, it is always best to let an animal warm up to a human or humans on its own terms and not force the issue.
    Hope that was helpful.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.