Can someone help

Home Community Small Pets Can someone help

This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  crazy_psycho_rat 19 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

MOUSELOVER

i know what kind of stuff they need but i mean like what is better for them like my friend has aquariums for hers should i use those or cages or even those plastic hamster cage things.

i think before u get pet mice that you need to do alot more research on it. and talk to your local pet store.. my opinion is that you are not ready for pet mice if you do not know what they eat and stuff like that. so ya before you get mice please please please do alot alot alot more research on it.

MOUSELOVER

I need help with training pet mice in anyway and what food they eat and how to breed them???

umm if this is going to be your first pet mice i don’t recommend mateing them only because you will not know what you are getting yourself into. i strongly suggest talking to your pet store.

MOUSELOVER

Hey thank you so much and my friend that hes mice says that you shouldnt have wood shaving kind of bedding litter stuff because it got into her mouse’s eye and made him die because of the diesease, even when she treated the eye. just thought that might be helpfull and I know not to get the hamster cages but do you think that it is best to mate mice when they are 3 months old…thats what my friend says.

if you want better ventilation. then get a metal bar cage. aquarium cages don’t have that much ventilation except for the top. so it will smellalot more. a metal cage with bars will have better air ventilation then anything. do not get plastic cages they will chew threw them. and if u clean the cage a few times a week you shouldn’t have any problems with oders.

Sheri

If you haven’t had mice before: I would choose a glass aquarium over a hamster cage, depending on how big they are. Mice tend to have a bad odor (especially males), I found an aquarium to be safer, less noise (chewing on bars), and it contained the smell better – and a plastic one made cleaning easier. Cedar shavings was the best bedding I found (again, it fights the smell off best) ;). A well ventilated area and a good air freshener may be handy! I used an "Air Sponge". Mice will eat fruits and vegetables as well as a hamster type diet. My mice loved carrots and apples. Mice take alot of patience if you want to tame them. It’s important to handle them often as they will forget you after a shorter time than other rodents will – so I’ve found. If you have trouble moving them to clean the aquarium, I found a cardboard tube was useful (they love to play in them, and you can just pick the tube up and move it mouse and all), be careful cause they can jump to a surprising height and are fast little critters! I found it challenging to find information on mice, there was only two books I could find in the libraries. Bothe of them recomended they live in a shed outdoors if you had more than just a couple, since they do smell. I had only two, and my whole appartment knew it! Males will fight with each other when they are adults – I’d keep them separated. Females are easier to keep.

Sheri

[quote author=crazy_psycho_rat link=board=37;threadid=1100;start=0#msg5440 date=1087265443] if you want better ventilation. then get a metal bar cage. aquarium cages don’t have that much ventilation except for the top. so it will smellalot more. a metal cage with bars will have better air ventilation then anything. do not get plastic cages they will chew threw them. and if u clean the cage a few times a week you shouldn’t have any problems with oders. [/quote] This is just from my experience of having mice, and some of the reading I’ve done on it. A metal bar cage is certainly better ventilation for the pets. But one of the concerns I had with young mice (mine were only weeks old when I got them), is that they could push their little heads between the bars and I was afraid of them hurting themselves or squeezing through. They were so so tiny. Mine weren’t able to chew the walls of the plastic aquarium I had, they couldn’t get a grip on it anywheres – they certainly tried, but after almost a year they had still not succeeded. I think glass may be better as well, but I find those are awkward to clean thoroughly. When they matured, it wasn’t cage cleaning that caused the odor. I did some research, and found it was the fact that a male mouse’s scent glands produce a stronger scent, and a different sort of scent (at least to our senses) than those of other rodents. That scent could pretty much fill the room in less than a week (mind you, the room wasn’t very big, and that was part of the problem). I cleaned their home every few days (usually every second or third day), washed it completely, and put in fresh bedding, and it would only take a day or two for it to smell again. It got worse as they got older. There was hardly any waste there, it was more like they were marking their territory. I’ve had male rats as well, and hamsters, and they just didn’t smell like the mice did. I think I had a stroke of bad luck though, I asked for two female mice, and they gave me two males! I only had one aquarium, and couldn’t afford another at the time :- So that doubled my problem (they were competing with each other’s scent?). And did they ever fight when they grew up! I had to give one away when they started fighting. But even after that, the one I kept still had a B.O problem.

do not use cedar shaveings. i repeat don’t use cedar shaveings. use pine shaveings. any other kind of shaveing burns their paws and causes breathing problems. use pine.

A.A.L

[quote author=Sheri link=board=37;threadid=1100;start=0#msg5439 date=1087260089] If you haven’t had mice before: I would choose a glass aquarium over a hamster cage, depending on how big they are. Mice tend to have a bad odor (especially males), I found an aquarium to be safer, less noise (chewing on bars), and it contained the smell better – and a plastic one made cleaning easier. Cedar shavings was the best bedding I found (again, it fights the smell off best) ;). A well ventilated area and a good air freshener may be handy! I used an "Air Sponge". Mice will eat fruits and vegetables as well as a hamster type diet. My mice loved carrots and apples. Mice take alot of patience if you want to tame them. It’s important to handle them often as they will forget you after a shorter time than other rodents will – so I’ve found. If you have trouble moving them to clean the aquarium, I found a cardboard tube was useful (they love to play in them, and you can just pick the tube up and move it mouse and all), be careful cause they can jump to a surprising height and are fast little critters! I found it challenging to find information on mice, there was only two books I could find in the libraries. Bothe of them recomended they live in a shed outdoors if you had more than just a couple, since they do smell. I had only two, and my whole appartment knew it! Males will fight with each other when they are adults – I’d keep them separated. Females are easier to keep. [/quote]don’t use cedar shavings! they are bad for many small pets and can/will caause respitory problems!

lauraliee

i feed my mice home made mixes its 4 parts oats, 1 part canary seed , and 1 part millet seed. you can also give them hamster seed mixes or lab blocks for rats but the home made mix i great for them i also have this one 1 part wholegrain rice(cooked), 2 parts oats, 1/2 part millet or cockateil seed, 1/2 part peanut butter. those mixes are better for them and last a long time too, plus its cheaper to make them. breeding mice, make sure that the pregnant mouse is seperated from any other mice so she doesnt get stressed out by the other(if there are others)make sure she has plenty of soft nesting materials like i used a cut up wash cloth, make sure she undisturbed for a few days so she doesnt feel threatned or get stressed. you want to make sure she had PLEANTY of food thing like peanuts and sunflower seeds(thing higher in fat) so she can reagain some of her weight and energy back and doesnt get hungry, make sure she has enough water at all times. if you hav any questions about mice you can e-mail me.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.