Sprinkles had to be put to sleep.

Home Community Pet Loss Support Sprinkles had to be put to sleep.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Jasmine 14 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Jasmine

Sprinkles was a 2.5 year old hooded rat. For those of you who don’t know much about rats 2.5 years is a ripe old age and she was on her way out anyways but it is still sad.On November 5 2009 I got up and got ready for work. Before I left I gave my two ratties some food (I have another hooded rat named Dipstick who is 1) and changed their water. I gave them both pets and kisses before leaving. They were both healthy and happy. That day I also found out my grandpa has stage three colon cancer. I came home from work early feeling stressed out and a little sick when my mom’s boyfriend (I live with them both.) told me one of my babies was sick. When I saw her I knew she was dying very slowly and painfully. There was mucus coming from her nose and I could hear her gasping for air and wheezing very loudly. So loudly I was able to hear her from the kitchen when I walked in. She could not stand or walk though she tried to when she heard me come in to greet me. I got a shoe box and put some bedding in it and gently put her inside to separate her from Dipstick ( I could not let them say their good byes for fear of Dipstick getting ill too but I think they already said good bye.) I then took her to the vet knowing what I HAD to do. I was crying the whole way there praying for Sprinkles to just hold on and telling her the pain will stop soon. When I got there I could barely speak but they knew. She was put to sleep right away and I held her in my hands and petted her head while she died. It was very traumatic and sad.

amelia

i am so sorry. i went through the same thing w/ my guinea pig Frizz. he was 5, which is old for a guinea pig. but when i took him to the vet, she jst gave me some antibiotics. i knew that he wasn’t going to make it, but i guess….i was being selfish and took him home. When i got home he started segering…it was the hardest thing to see my loved pet suffer so. the vet was 45 mins. away and anytime i went to touch Frizz he would squeek very loudly. My mom came home soon and we decided to let her shoot Frizz with our 22. it is a horrible memory. i can’t even describe how awful i felt that day.
    i am sorry for ur loss 🙁

Jasmine

That is horrible. I had to do that with my sister’s pet mouse once but I had to snap it’s neck because they won’t put to sleep mice. (They are too small). She was there, it had accidentally got dropped by our kid brother who then tried to catch it and slipped and stepped on the poor thing (he was only 4 I was supposed to be supervising him with the mouse). Losing a pet is horrible, people say "why didn’t you give her a chance", but I knew she was dying it was easy to tell (I have taken vet tech courses too so that helps with taking care of the animals.) I am sorry for your lose as well.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.