adopted dog has some issues

Home Community Dog Behavior adopted dog has some issues

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  linda 15 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

linda

myself and my family decided to adopt a border collie which had been tied up in a barn in a farmyard for the last few months .he is eighteen months old and has a wonderfull little personallity .
    when my husband put him in the van to bring him home and he pooped in the van .
    how do i get him used to the van .also he has never been on a lead
    how can i gaet him used to the lead .
    ps my kitten ran out the back door when we brought the dog home . i can hear here crying nearby but she wont come back .

Johannah

The best way to get him used to a lead is to put his collar and lead on and then let him wander around the house with it on. You need to supervise so he doesn’t catch himself on anything. Border Collies are really intelligent so it shouldn’t take long. Once he feels somewhat comfortable you should try holding the lead and as you start walking coax him along with a small treat. Keep encouraging him with treats as you walk and he should quickly get the hang of it.
    If he was never in a vehicle before it probably frightened him and a lot of dogs lose control of their bowels in that circumstance. So he may never have another accident. But you can try just getting in the van and sitting with him for short periods of time. Again give him treats and praise him a lot. When you think he’s losing his nervousness you might try just a very short drive and see how he does. Dogs learn rather quickly when you drive them to places they like such as a park, and most will soon look forward to going for a ride.
    It was really nice of you to rescue him from his other life.

Johannah

Try setting some food out for the kitten and she will soon come back. She is just nervous about the new arrival. Be sure the dog doesn’t attempt to chase her because that could really frighten her. Also make sure that when they are in close proximity the kitten always has a way to easily get to a spot where she will feel safe and secure should she not want to be near the dog. Give them a little time and they will probably become the best of friends.

linda

Dear Johannah
    Thank you so much for your advice .Already we have made huge strides with the training . i began by sitting him in the van and within an hour we went for a short drive (about 5 minutes ) to our locaql pet shop. spent a fortune on treats etc .
    he was fine and had no accidents and enjoyed it some much that as soon as i open the trunk he jumps right in .
    ill let you know how the kitten gets on in the future .
    thanks again from ireland
    and
    happy st patricks day

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.