Puppy behavior is agressive

Home Community Dog Behavior Puppy behavior is agressive

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  cauchy 15 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

sheila

I have a 16 month old daughter, and recently we added a siberian husky puppy to our family. the first week she did so good with her bahavior. after that it was all down hill. she now barks & growls at me, my boyfriend and daughter at random moments. Like if im sitting on the couch or when im on the floor with my daughter. I give her equal attention that i give my daughter. If im on the floor i will toss a toy around with her, but then it usually turns into the barking battle, and her nipping us.ive tried EVERYTHING with her, (shaker, no command, crating her, ignoring her) and nothing has changed. its gotten worse. she has growled, barked & snapped at all 3 of us for NO reason. Im baffled at this behavior. ive read anything and everything online about it, ive even asked the breeder we got her from for advice. I have ALOT on my plate right now and we do plan on starting training in the next couple weeks, but until then, im worried she is going to get worse, and she scares me and my daughter. and who knows if training will even focus on that behavior. I hate seeing her be locked up all day long so that me and my daughter can play & go on with our business. But she nipps & she has freaked my daughter out to the point that she RUNS when she sees the puppy and she is mean to her. she cries on many occasions because she just doesnt get along with the puppy. Im guessing the Dakoda can sense that my daughter is scared, and they dont get along. But any tips on what i can do…or how to change this.

Catherine

Puppies do bark and growl when they play. When she does this is it when you are playing with her, taking something away is food involved? When you are playing and she put her mouth on you say "ouch" and make sound like it really hurt even when it doesn’t that should help with biting to teach her how to play nicely. It could be that you picked a dominant dog and sometimes it will show up in puppies when they are young. You need to start showing her that you, your daughter and your husband are the alphas and she is at the bottom of the pack. She needs to earn every thing she gets nothing for free. Taking her to a class is a goosd thing however i think in the beginning you should consider having a behaviorist come to your home and work with you and the dog.

Manderz

Question. How old was the puppy when you got her from the breeder?
    You should never adopt a dog thats under 8 wks old. 8-10 weeks is good. they need those 8-10 weeks with there moms and litter mates so they learn whats acceptable and what isnt. for example: puppy bites mom. mom nips back, puppy learns not to bite the hand that feeds. example 2: puppy bites litter mate. litter mate yelps. puppy realizes that puppy has bitten litter mate too hard…see what i mean. breeders have been give pups away younger and younger over the years. its resulted in pups that have no boundries.
    heres a few things that you can do to establish the pack leader role.
    1. get a dog bowl that looks just like hers but has never been used before. put some food in it that YOU will eat. have her bowl were the pup cant see it. like on a counter. get the bowl that you will eat out of and eat your food in front of her. dont let her see that its not the same food. let the puppy think your eating her food. eat some of and turn around and face the counter so she cant see that your switching the bowls. grab her bowl and when shes calm. place it on the floor for her to eat. this shows that you are the leader and that you eat first. she eats after. You=leader. pup=follower. do this for a week or 2 and she should calm down alot.
    2.get the leash and put it on her and go to the door. open it. if she tries to step out. shut the door. do this till shes calm when you open the door. then make sure that YOU! step out first then her. take her for a walk. NEVER EVER NEVER! let her walk in front of you. by your side or a little bit behind you is PERFECT! in the wolf pack, the leader is in the lead. dogs follow this mentality. that will help you sooooooooo much in the future and now.
    3. call your local petsmart and ask tell them the problems your having and that you ARE looking into getting her trained soon but for the time being you are have problems. they should give you a few tips until you can get her into training.

cauchy

yes, you must display your dominance over the dog, please let us know how it turns out.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.