Saddeling & Girthing

Home Community Horses & Riding Saddeling & Girthing

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Rachel 15 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

hayley

I have recently started riding a 14y.o Tb mare. She is off the track.Ive been riding her for a few months now and everything has been going great.But over the past 2 or 3 weeks shes been giving me trouble about saddleing her and tightening her girth. Ive worked with her and got her through the saddleing part.But Still when i go to tighten the girth she puts her ears back and tries to cow kick me.But once the girths on shes fine and doesnt give it much thought.Is there anything i can do about it?

Rachel

You might be tightening the girth too quickly and pinching her skin and this is the only way she can tell you that it just hurt her. When saddling her up just fasten the girth up enough to hold the saddle in place without slipping if the horse shakes itself off. After you tighten it, pick up each foreleg and take hold at the forearm and cannon and stretch each leg so that any skin that may be pinched is smoothed out. Remember with young horses to gently and slowly adjust girths to prevent reactions like this becoming habit and causing problems later on in life where an inexperienced or unkind owner will punish this behaviour.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.