Enhancing grass hay to increase palatability

Home Community Horses & Riding Enhancing grass hay to increase palatability

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Connie 15 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Connie

Hi,
    I have grass hay for my horses. I have a few bales with a small amount of alfalfa in them but I save them for the colder winter days (I live in Michigan).
    My question is this, my horses pick through the grass hay that I feed them and a lot of it falls out of the feeder and eventually gets trashed on the ground. I have two horses and I feed them two to three flakes of grass hay at a time throughout the day when I am working at home so that less is wasted but still have waste. I am wondering if I could enhance the grass hay by maybe misting it with a mix of water with a little molases in it or something like that?
    I find that if I first put the grass hay in the feeder and then sprinkle some of the tastier alfalfa mix flake on top they don’t waste as much but I don’t have enough bales of the alfalfa mix to dress the top of the grass hay all the time. Otherwise I would just do that.
    I would appreciate your input on this. The cost of hay is up as is everything and I just HATE to see that grass hay trashed out!
    Thank you,
    Connie

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.