Re: Rabbit Fur…?

Home Community Rabbits Rabbit Fur…? Re: Rabbit Fur…?

Kelly

It could possibly be just normal shedding. The first time this happened to my rabbit I called the person I adopted her from because I thought she had a disease! She assured me that it is normal because rabbits go through shedding periods. It looks like tufts of fur just coming out in random places, but if your rabbit is losing fur to the point where you see skin, that is a problem. Sometimes the shedding stage lasts for a couple of months. It is VERY important to brush your bunny every day or almost every day. It will help your rabbit shed and when you brush her it will look like she is shedding a lot of hair. Sometimes I can make a whole new rabbit out of what comes out when I brush her. I like an animal brush that has kind of stiff bristles, but not too stiff. I bought a soft bristled bunny brush and it was fine, but then I switched to a stiffer bristled brush and I can get a lot more hair out. BE GENTLE and once again, if you are seeing skin it might be something different than normal shedding.