How do i know if they are dead?

Home Community Rabbits How do i know if they are dead?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  thataprilchick 19 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

rebecca.h1

???Hi my rabbit is expecting in a couple of days and i am trying to find out a few things: LIKE: how old do the babies have to be before i check the nest?: ALSO: when i do check the nest how do i tell if the babies are dead or just sleeping apart from if i saw them breathing, should i get the mothers scent and then lightly touch them , what happens if they are cold should i remove them and warm them up or just leave the mother to get on with looking after her newborns.? ??? Please can you give me some right answers as when i look in books they all tell me something different? ;DTHANKS ;D

Okay, whatever you do, DO NOT TOUCH THE NEST FOR 72 HOURS after she delivers! After that, it’s said to be fine to check on the nest… but do it with caution! If I have my rabbit behaviours right, if you touch the nest too early, she’ll actually kick the babies out and leave them for dead. Don’t worry too much about the babies… most rabbits do go through pregnancy, labour and delivery quite well, depending on whether the male was a larger breed. There is a danger if the father is of a larger breed. I’ll tell you one thing… do research… there’s a lot of stuff if you just search, "Rabbit Pregnancy" I would know! I think I might have a bundle of about 4-5 rabbits coming to my rabbit cage soon! It’s what I get for picking a stray! Anyway, best of luck, don’t touch and RESEARCH April

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.