Lethargic 10 wk. old kitten

Home Community Cats Health Lethargic 10 wk. old kitten

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 20 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

bkhast

I’ve talked to my vet’s office, talked to my neighbor with multiple pets for advice, but I’m still concerned, paranoid(!). We have a about a 10 week old male kitten, usually very playful, typical kitten antics. Last night he was fine, "wrestling" with our hands, playing on our bed. Then he went to sleep. My husband noticed he "stinks", and our 5 year old says the kitten pooped! Sure enough, Mario had soiled himself. It wasn’t runny, just looked normal. I cleaned him up with a little warm water & wash cloth, but now today he’s very lethargic, not running, playing, etc. He did walk around a little this morning, climbed some stairs, but he’s very obviously not himself. He will eat if we bring him the food, but he basically lays in the same spot all day today. He will play with my fingers a little if I rub his belly, but he won’t get up and walk around. The vet says to leave him be for a few days, make sure he’s eating, but if he is still like this on Monday, bring him in. My neighbor had similiar suggestions, that maybe he’s just extrememly tired (I have 4 boys, all who love to play with him), and it just suddenly wiped him out–or that he’s sore from all the playing, or that perhaps my adult cat bit him recently and he’s hurt, although that last one would surprise me, since my adult cat runs away from him everytime Mario is around. Mario has had his distemper and one de-worming treatment. He does not go outside. My other cat does go outside, but strictly keeps by the house (one cat fight years ago taught him a lesson!). I hate to see Mario so miserable, not to mention my kids sad their new kitten isn’t feeling well. Does anyone have any other advice? ???

Karen

This is not normal – even for a tired kitten. The smell and lethargy is not a sign of a healthy kit. I would keep working with the vet. Yes, kittens sleep a lot, but they also should play happily when awake, have bright eyes and no offensive odor like poop. Ask for blood work to be done to help rule out infections. Also beware that your outdoor cat can bring in disease to the kit. There are diseases that cats can carry but not show symptoms of. Is your outdoor cat regularly tested for FeLeuk, FIV, and such?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.