How can I get my dog to drink more water?

Home Community Dog Food & Feeding How can I get my dog to drink more water?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Cheryl 12 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Karen

Hi,
    I need to find out how I can get my dog to drink more water. He continually has urinary tract infections (I’ve had him about 3 years now and he’s had 3 recently), especially when he comes back from the groomers. The last two times he came back from the groomers he had developed a bladder infection, and I’m starting to think its something there. To play it safe, I’m switching groomers.
    He is not drinking enough water I believe…not as much as he should, especially now. Please post any tips you may have on how to get him to drink more water.
    Is there a flavoring for dogs I can put in his water that will make him drink more?
    Thanks for all responses.

Catherine

its possable that he is getting them from going to groomers due to stress not necessarily from something they are doing or not doing as far as getting him to drink more water the only thing i can think of is to give him wet food b/c there is water in that but the fact that he is contantly getting these infections i would talk to you vet about putting him on a food like Royal canin’s SO which is for dogs and cats with urinary issues. honesty though if you are concered that he is not getting enough water one way to check if he is dehydrated is to pick up some skin and let go if it goes back quickly he is fine if it is slow then yes he is dehydrated the vet can also run a blood test to get a more accurate result

Karen

Hi and thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. Can a dog really get a urinary infection from stress? Wow. He is already on the food you mentioned the SO, and he gets that daily. I hand fed him some water last night and this morning and he seemed to drink fine…he’s on antibiotics and anti-inflamatories and I believe a pain killer from the vet now….the only way he will take it is if I hide it in hamburger…so he’s doing okay right now, but I want to try to avoid this in the future somehow by making sure he constantly gets enough water to flush him out all the time…I believe he needs this.
    Basically what I’m trying to find out is if anyone who knows about dogs has ever heard of a flavoring for dogs water…not loaded with salt, but something they would really like to drink that’s safe too….I’d love some more input. Thanks again for your advice, I really do appreciate it.

Catherine

i honestly have never heard of any flavoring to add to water but in the past what i have done is mixed a little wet food with with water to give it some flavor

Karen

Thanks again, I’ll try that too. Boy, I’d probably make a fortune off of my idea to add flavoring to water….hmmmmm wonder what kind of flavoring they would like? 🙂

Jennifer

My female Boxer doesn’t drink alot of water either. I have put a little chicken broth to flavor the water or Ice Cubes. When she is bobbing in the water to try and eat the ice, she is drinking. Maybe that will help? Good luck.

suzanne

I was bringing a bowl to my cat when he was sleeping, or whatever. i put it right under his nose! hed drink every time. it was like he didnt know he was thirsty til i brought it TO him. he had kidney failure and was dehydrated, not good at all. theres a way to check to see if hes dehydrated by lifting the skin on his back. ask someone how to do it and check him out. su

Ashley

I understand about the uti’s and had a dog who got them constantly even though she drank enough water. Cranberries supplements were a lifesaver! The antibiotics never worked but the cranberry supp. worked and kept her clear of uti’s.

Karen

Cranberry supplements….sounds good. Is it safe though? I heard that its not good to give animals things that humans use unless you consult a professional about it. Like Tylenol can kill dogs, so I’m a little wary about using the cranberry supplements unless I hear differently from someone who is like professional.
    I appreciate the feeback truly I do, and hope I can use them.
    Is there a vet out here who knows if its okay to use cranberry supplements on dogs? If so, how much do you use?
    Thanks a bunch!

Johannah

My vet suggested cranberry supplements for my border terrier. It did help as she was getting urinary tract infections on a regular basis and also had crystals in her urine. You can get cranberry supplements made especially for dogs. Try local health food stores on on the internet. I live in the Clearwater area and Natural Pet Food Store and Munchies sell the supplement if you live near them.

Click on any picture to see full size:

Karen

Aren’t you wonderful….thank you so much for letting me know that….I’m going to check my pet store first and go from there with what you mentioned….thanks again!

Karen

BTW….I did switch groomers too, and he hasn’t had one since this request for advice was posted, nor has he had one since I switched groomers too….don’t know what went right, just grateful for it…thanks for this place too…

Roberta

I am so happy to read your post. My dog just had surgery for bladder stones and was told she needs to drink more water. I measured the water I put in her bowl so I could check the next morning to see what she drank,first day I did that she drank almost a cup and yesterday a half a cup. I had just gotten the cranberry supplements and this was the first day I put it in her food . I got a 500mg capsule which I put in a small container and then measured out half of that and spinkled it on her Royal Canin (which I have to mix a large tablespoon of cottage cheese to get her to eat that) and I was very happy that she ate it all. I will check at our local pet stores though to find the ones made for dogs.
    Thanks so much…..

Click on any picture to see full size:

Johannah

The cranberry juice should help to keep her urine on the acidic side which is good. On average a dog should drink 1/2 to 3/4 ounce of liquid per pound, including liquid supplied in food. Your dog is small so it looks like she is right on target with the amount of water she is drinking.
    Of course dogs who have just exercised or exerted themselves in some other way, and on extremely hot days, should drink more the the "normal" amount.
    It is a red flag though if a dog starts drinking a lot more water than is the norm for him/her. I just mention this for anyone who might read the post and has a dog with a new, greatly increased thirst. Kidney disease and diabetes are two possibilities when a dog gets abnormally thirsty and it that lasts for more than a day or two.

Roberta

johannah
    Well, that does sound good, so if she drinks 6-7oz I should not worry. I did try the beef boullion idea. I disolved just 1/4tsp and put into 2cups of water….she liked that but did not drink a lot,,,just enough to shut me up..lol
    Our local Petsmart has the cranberry supplement and I will get some of that.
    She is on Royal Canin now and will not eat it unless I add a spoon of cottage cheese. SO as soon as she is done with this food I am going to get her Life’s Abundance. It is made to balance the PH to about 6.5 which is good. I do NOT want her to have to go through surgery again for the bladder stone.
    Thanks again for the response.
    Rob

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.