SORE HOCKS

Home Community Rabbits SORE HOCKS

This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Laura 14 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Katherine

i have a 2yr old female mini rex who has sore paws and hocks. i know her breed is prone to it but i dont know what to do. i tried neosporin once but it didnt seem to help. her front paws are worse than her hocks. where each little pad right behind her nails are they are swollen, bright red little balls, and totally bald.
    i know prevention is the best method but now what do i do. any advice?
    p.s. she’s in the pic 🙂

Jen

Poor little girl!! I know it’s probably not the case, but does she spend a lot of time on any sort of wire cage or anything like that? If she does, try adding some cardboard or something on part of the wire cage. Sore hocks is basically all about how the rabbit balances on her feet, and it’s usually more prevalent on the rear feet. It can also come from obesity or long nails. It can also be from an underlying infection, so it might be worth a trip to the vet if you haven’t already.
    Are the sores broken or infected? If so, an antibiotic ointment might help. I also read that Nu-Skin is great for treating the sores, but only if they’re not infected.
    And, from what I’ve read, sore hocks takes a long time to heal, considering that rabbits are almost always on their feet. So, don’t get discouraged if it takes a few months to heal.
    Hope this helps & good luck with her!

Katherine

she is not on any kind of wire, i was using aspen litter but then i switched to carefresh thinking it would be softer. any advice on a certain bedding i should use?

Jen

I use carefresh for my buns. I also heard that Yesterday’s News is also a good brand. Try a plastic concrete mixing tub (home depot/lowes), bottom filled with Carefresh type bedding, topped with lots of hay. This will give her a nice big space to move around and get out of any wet spots.
    I also suggested Nu-Skin. Did you try it? Any luck?
    Just curious…did you take her to the vet? If so, what did they say?

Lynnette

Well, wire bottom cages are not healthy for rabbits. They will go in a litter box if you give them one after a few days. The best litter is a newspaper pellet litter called Yesterday’s News by Purina. I would change the cage, because the rabbit must feel very uncomfortable. Alexa Lyn

Laura

I know this was so long ago, but I wondering if you could give an update on your rabbit’s feet? I have a Rex that has sore hocks as well, same situation – the back is a little bad but the front paws are HORRIBLE. I’ve been to the vet and she gave me an ointment, but it doesn’t seem to be helping. Just hoping you could share what worked for you. Thanks!

Katherine

I found that what helped was transferring her to a larger cage where she can move around more and using the carefresh bedding and a carpet for her to sleep on. I also found that constantly trimming her nails also helped reduce the pressure. They aren’t totally healed, but have gotten better

Cindy

Sore hocks are also contributed to by thin fur on the pads of the feet, which is why it occurs on all four feet instead of a single paw, and why rex breed are prone to it.
    A&D ointment is very helpful is soothing the inflamation, as well as oral antibiotics as there are often infections that persist in the deteriorated skin and can for abcesses on the pads of the feet. These abcesses usually go unnoticed as they occur to the side of the paw, in the furred area and rupture before becoming large enough to protrude.
    Keeping the paws dry and clean, daily bedding changes in soild bottom cages and resting boards that are sanitized daily in wire floored cages, are the best ways to help the sores heal.
    In my own very calm and cooperative French Lop i treated it as a wound, which is what it is, applying daily bandages with antibiotic ointment until the scabs were healed and skin formed, then a&d ointment until fur grew in. I did not leave her unbandaged until the sore hocks were completely resolved. She has had no reocourances of this problem with a single resting board in her cage which is cleaned daily.
    In other less cooperative rabbits, like our flemish giant Tater, i used injectable antibiotics and daily topicals. (he just tears the bandages off after a few minutes.)

Barb

I know its been awhile and I don’t know if anyone will see this but… Sore Hocks are horrible. NEVER… plz… put a rabbit in a cage with a wire bottom. Rabbits are happiest as house pets with ability to run around at least one room of the house with toys to play with and people who care. We feed and check our rabbits twice a day. They get their butts checks for any abnormalities, they get their ears, teeth, feet and eyes checks… their nails clipped monthly… and oh yeah… how often does anyone clean their scent glands. Sorry to sound angry, but tonite I rescued another rabbit, got him home, found out these people had kept him in the basement for 2 years, they told me "she" was a black rabbit, and when I got her, HE was totally brown, a nasty mess in his private area and has a horrible case of sore hock on both his rear feet. He also needs to be neutered. Until my vet comes back from vacation, I have him on Baytril (oral antibiotic), an oral antibiotic cream on his feet, with both of his feet wrapped. He is horribly underweight. I figure I will probably put 2 or 3 hundred dollars into vet bills and if necessary humanely put him down. I lost a mini rex 2 years ago to sore hock. We spent a fortune on vet bills and 3 times daily bandage changes, oral medications and he was still in so much pain he just wasted away. The saddest part was he was "married" and I thought I may lose her too, but she has bounced back and loves to watch the other buns. Please take daily notice of all pets feet and other needs and never neglect them. Any changes at least warrant a call to the Vet. All my prayers for my little Gilbert who I miss so much…. And may god bless and keep your little angel. Good luck. Harley Sue and my now 9 special buns, my 3 legged rottweiller, and 2 australian shepherd special needs dogs.

Laura

An update on my Rex girl and some things that I found really, really useful for her sore hocks.
    First of all, of course, she lost weight. 3lbs actually. She was terribly obese when I got her being fed a seed mix pellet only. Now she gets just 1 tbsp Oxbow Bunny Basics pellets per day, tons and tons of greens and 4 different kinds of grass hay. Losing weight was probably the most helpful thing, but some lifestyle changes worked for her too.
    I have her cage padded to the max with doggy crate liners called Snoozzy Sleepers. You can google the name, apparently I can’t post a link here!
    They come in 6 different sizes and I pad her entire cage (a 2-level Leith Petwerks Bunny Abode that she shares with her husbun) THREE layers thick. Not only is my girl a Rex and was overweight, but when I watch her walk, she puts all her weight on her heels. The layers help and she practically walks on pillows all day.
    Obviously this only works if the bun is litter trained and you don’t have to use bedding in the cage. She was always on Carefresh before this and I would put about 3 inches thick of it and change it everyday to keep it clean, but nothing has worked as well as the sleepers.
    We tried bandaging, but she ripped them off instantly. We still, after 6 months, use an aloe-vera spray called Avi-X Soother for birds (prescription from vet) every single day and neosporin on the scabs that develop periodically on her heels. The Avi-X has a pain relief/anti-inflammatory agent in it and has been invaluable in keeping the inflammation down on her bald patches. We also have pain meds (metacam) on hand that I am instructed by my vet to use on an "as needed" basis.
    I am extremely happy to report that after she lost the weight, and with the sleepers and months of aloe spray, the soreness went away completely on her front paws and about 3/4 of the way on her backs. She’s still a bit bald on her actual heels and the fur over the previously bald patches on her back feet is thin, but it’s getting thicker slowly but surely. When I do her ointment everyday, I pull the fur down to cover her heel, something I couldn’t do before.
    Sore hocks are a terrible problem to deal with and are certainly not easy to cure, but lots and lots of effort and time put into it and things can improve. It is a slow, slow process, but it certainly is possible!! I hope some of you will find our treatment helpful as we did and I wish everyone luck if their bunny has sore feet!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.