Panick at the vet’s office

Home Community Dogs Panick at the vet’s office

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Gen 16 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Linda

Last Saturday I freaked out at the vet’s office. I took Princess in to get her shots updated, and to get her "scent glands taken care of since they were full.
    Like so many vet’s a "cookie, as a reward was given, but oh man, she could have gotten bit, and it would have been her fault because she didn’t ask me a very important question.
    nobody but you should give your pet treats, with the exception of course, maybe your vet, but they should ask too because before I had a chance to say or do anything they gave her a treat and were about to start procedures, but I told them Princess was/is food aggressive.
    There was no way Princess would have allowed any work to be done on her with a treat in her mouth.
    has anyone else had this happen to them?
    I didn’t mind the vet giving Princess a treat, but I do think a vet should ask about giving a cookie to anyone’s dog first. Before or after procedure i ok with me, but not before.
    I would have felt really bad if my vet would have gotten bit and or even her assistant.
    Despite that problem, Princess behaved well for the vet.

SJ

Ohh dear, I do agree that if someone doesn’t know your dog that they shouldn’t be giving them a treat, I would also prefer a new vet to discuss my dog generally with me before trying to treat my dog, especially with injections, so I can tell them how likely they are to get bitten, but vets do jabs as a routine thing and often just assume…
    I would just like to boast about my vet… he is a lovely man, and although my dog isn’t over keen on him because of all the thermometers up the bum (lol), he can’t help wagging his tail when the vet comes out in the waiting room and call "Cookie, come here you nutter!" and gets down on the floor to wrestle with him, hey its only once we get in the exam room that Cookie doesn’t like it, which is why if its quite and nothing unpleasant is going to happen he carries out the visit in the waiting room! But my vet knows he can’t feed Cookie, because he just isn’t interested, and hey who can blame him, he’s a gorgeous dog (and he knows it) and is surrounded by nurses who like to remind him of his charms and good looks, and a vet laying on the floor willing to be licked to death!! But then again with my clumsy lad we are frequent visitors..
    Oh and he knows my guineas by name too!

Mary

Most vets I have worked with use liver treats instead of cookies. They’re healthy and most importantly, they’re tiny (about the size of your finger nail) so they are gone quickly.

SJ

Mine tend to use those soft pedigree stick thingys (can’t remember the name, some thing starting with a s…) that way depending on the size of the dog and friendliness they can break them up. Giving a little treat every time they manage to do something such as an injection, taking blood or clipping a claw. but like I said Cookie prefers the Vets arm to chew on lol, what can I say he’s a clown

Gen

Many individual dogs of many breeds can exhibit this behavior…the best thing to do is to remind the veterinary staff of your pet’s needs when you check in for an appointment. Vets get used to "treating" puppies and can forget to Look Before Leaping! Just one of the reasons your presence during exams is vital.
    When starting to work with a new vet or office, ask the receptionist to mark your pet’s chart with a warning that will be protective of everyone under all circumstances (ex: "Food Aggressive", "Food Allergies", "No Treats!" , "Dog Aggressive", "Seizures", "Fearful", etc.). An office that is professional in this regard will have a procedure for marking the chart.
    Everyone in the office should be very receptive to and respectful of this kind of information!
    Sorry about your near miss, and thanks for opening this important subject,.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.