The Rehomed Bird Cycle

Home Community Birds The Rehomed Bird Cycle

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Emily 16 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Linda

Please before you ever consider taking a bird home as a pet do your research, talk to ligitimate breeders, visit pet shops and visit pet forums, and search out expert advice.
    It’s never a good idea to jump into just decidining you want a large breed bird when you have never had experience with them.
    Start out with the small birds, you need a few years and then go to medium, nd then large.
    The truth is a good percentage of the birds end up not being wanted. Many are bred just for the sake of someone to make a profit. Most people who have little or no experience decide witin a year that they must get rid of the bird.
    Many birds see more than three homes in their lifetimes, or are disposed of improperly.
    Birds, in the right hands live long happy lives
    So what they need is your 100 % commitment that they will not lose you, that you can take care of them for their entire lives, and that you can take being bit once in a while.
    Too many sanctuaries have had to set up shop to care for birds, and most don’t make any profits from caring for them either.
    I’m getting a divorce.
    I’m having a baby
    I’m moving
    I don’t have time for him anymore
    he’s biting
    I’m afraid of him are lousy excuses.
    Not everyone is suited to owning birds. They aren’t living room decour either. They need to use their wings, and they need socialization and they need to be treated respectfully and with love.
    If you see yourself falling into any of these catagories, please wait before taking on a bird or birds.
    Too many become unwanted, abused and or neglected when a bird becomes less than a being with feelings.

SJ

While I totaly agree with you, Id like to add that it isnt just birds that are in this situation but all ‘pets’ and that a parrot, especialy a large one is not a pet for a child, just like a dog, they need care and love from the entire family and once your child leave home/goes of to college or university then what will happen to the ‘pet’ that still has many years ahead. When planning on getting a new family member everything should be taken into consideration, they main difference between a pet and a child is that you wont have child protection knocking on your door if you leave them at home unsupervised for a few hours, but everything else is the same, they need proper care and to be understood and have their needs taken care of, not fit round yours.

Daniellle

it’s so annoying so many animals a year, not just birds but dogs cats rabbits and everthing else and half of them are murdered becuase no-one wants them no i dont call killing an animal tht is not wanted humnely-euthanising i call it murder
    so i agree
    people should put more care into considering tht a pet is right for them
    in my life i have only ever given away a budgie becuase she chewed right through my walls and we had to use a whole pot of plaster to repair it and before we gave her away we spent a year trying to discourage her from being such a little destroyer but luckily we found a good home for her ourselves to ensure she would have a happy life in a big avary at our local farm in the pets section i can also go visit her whenever i want
    so please put more thought into when yu are going to buy an animal or even take one on from a friend
    =D

Emily

I agree completely. In the holiday season especially, pets like dogs,cats, or birds are given as gifts,but they are oftentimes unwanted or their new owners don’t know how to take care of them. Such animals are given to shelters that don’t have enough room for so many of these pets and have to euthanize them. That’s just the lucky ones: some are abandoned or abused. Don’t give pets as Christmas, Hanukkah, etc. presents and make sure you do your research about any type of animal that you are considering for a pet.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.