Is a bird the right pet for you?

Home Community Birds Is a bird the right pet for you?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Linda 16 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Linda

Just some information for the beginner who thinks he/she wants a bird.
    1. Birds no matter what we think are wild creatures, and although beautiful, they are not an appropriate pet for everybody.
    2. 80 % of the birds bred, bought and sold end up on the vicious cycle of being rehomed because the people who buy them don’t do enough research and are not prepared to deal with the wild behaviors of a bird. "Screaming, crowing, biting. Flapping wings, and posturing.
    We do not understand as people these are natural behaviors for any bird, large and small.
    People make excuses about why they want to rehome probably within a year after purchase. These include.
    1. I’m having a baby.
    2. I have no time
    3. I’m moving
    4. I’m getting a divorce
    5. The bird hates me
    6. It’s biting me.
    7. It’s too loud.
    Beginners should not jump into being owned by large breed birds as a first bird. If you want to be owned by large birds, work slowly up to it. Work with people who have large birds so you can learn what it takes to care for them.
    but for a beginner please start with a lovebird, or cockatiel, or parakeet.
    Conures are more work, and tend to be much nippier.
    One more point to make: Birds in the right hands live long happy lives. And if you plan to be owned by one or some of them you need to be 100 % committed to them.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.