Training old /rescue dogs

Home Community Dog Behavior Training old /rescue dogs

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Stephanie 16 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

adriean

I need some help desperately: Back in May 2007 I adopted a cocker/toy poodle named Chloe. When I adopted her she came with issues, one of those issues is urinating on the capet and anywhere she fells like going. We were doing some training and it looked like all was coming along, then she became ill 3 weeks after I got and went into renal failure due to some medication that her previous vet thru the rescue gave her for arthuritis and also it was felt that anesthesia did not help the situation any. After 17 days in the hospital she came home and continued to get well, but also started her old habits of peeing on the carpet and all the training in the world is not working. Just recently in the past maybe 3 weeks she has started peeing on my bed. This has happened atleast 4 times, and I take her out quite a bit. I work the pm shift at the hospital so I try very hard to take her out ,once in the morning then again after she eats then again before I leave for work, then again when I get home from work at midnight. The other night I took her out and she sniffed around about 20 min. then started to climb the stairs up the house, when she entered the living room she squatted and peed. I have had a professional trainer that in some cases you have to get tough and smack them on the butt then say no, but I don’t like doing this. I believe she has already been hit, I can tell because when she sees her leash she just cringes or the cord to the iron or to the vacum cleaner, anything that swings like a belt. This morning I wokeup and she had peed on the bed so I got up at 4:30 am and changed everything, now my daughter has just called me to let me know my bed is wet with pee and all of my blankets. I’m at my wits end. I’m trying very hard to have patience with Chloe, but I might be losing the battle here. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
    Adriean

Stephanie

Interesting…I have a theory the leash and cords…my Jesse USED to be the same….I KNOW that he was a true, "backyard" dog and neglected….I think he was tied up all of the time…..constantly had a chain, "following him around, if you will…..he HATED the same as yours….
    But he LOVES the leash now—-it’s al about association….
    Anywho….here’s a link to a thread about potty training…I posted 2 really good links(I think anyway) about training….
    Here’s the link — to the link… 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.