Red Tail Boa question

Home Community Reptiles Red Tail Boa question

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer 16 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Jennifer

I have a Red Tail that is 2yrs and 4.5 months old. I was wondering how big they should be at this age. She appears to be healthy, eats healthy, not under weight, healthy skin, normal everything, but I keep reading articles that say a boa should be around 40lbs and about 8ft at 2 yrs. Mine is about 4ft 3in, and is definitely nowhere near 40lbs! I just want to know from experienced keepers of Red Tails, if this is alright? In my personal opinion, I believe that RTs that grow that big in two years are power fed.

Click on any picture to see full size:

SJ

While snakes grow fast during their first year or two. Snakes grow their entire life, they just slow down.
    What are you feeding her and how often? If your worried at all the take her to a hept vet, but I would say aslong as she is eating the right amount and often enough then dont worry.
    If you need any more info just ask and I’ll see what I can find out as I have never worked with 2 year old red tails only breeding adults and newborn up to 6months.

SJ

Sorry for multiple posts but Ive just looked at your pictures of her and would like to say she looks lovely and healthy and defo dont worry! You have a beautiful snake, you can see the health in her eyes and scales

Jennifer

Thank you very much! I don’t at all think she’s unhealthy, I just read an article recently, and it stated that red tails are basically adult sized by their second year. I have a hard time believing that, so I thought I would see if anyone has heard of this before. Maybe mine is just a slow grower? I guess all that matters is she’s healthy!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.