Aggressive Dog

Home Community People & Their Pets Aggressive Dog

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Dale 16 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anna

I have a customer who’s had a bichon/shih tzu (male) for almost 5 years, the problem is she had a baby a year ago and the dog just hates her, he’s even resorted to biting her, I notice with grooming he’s getting worse as well and I’ve groomed him since he was about a year or so, I don’t understand what’s going on here, she also has a 3 yr old jack russel who just loves her baby. This dog isn’t generally mean so why is he like this?
    Thanks

Danny
    Participant

He;’s jealous, new addition apparently is straw that broke the camels back! Apparently dog concealed it till now…Sounds ludicrous I know but look at the timing.

Sue

and they are probably showing favoritism to the jrt who "loves" the baby.
    are they both neutered?
    it may be best to rehome this one to a quieter home with older people before there is a serious bite there

Anna

They don’t seem to favor the other dog, I don’t know if she will be willing to give up her dog, is their just no way around this??

Dale

My experience in dealing with aggressive dogs is somewhat limited but I can tell you what I have learned. The best book I found on the subject is entitled How to Right a Dog Gone Wrong (Pamela Dennison). It describes what to do and more importantly what not to do with an aggressive dog.
    In a nutshell it first suggests you take your dog to a basic obedience course. The rest involves watching for your dog’s aggressive signals and uses counter conditioning and desensitizing to the things that make him aggressive. I can tell you from experience that one of the most common mistakes people make is punishing their dog for showing signs of aggression. What’s important to remember is by doing this you have done nothing to reduce what’s causing the reaction and the dog will learn to bite without warning.
    Aggression is one of the toughest isues to deal with but with time and patience it can be kept under control.
    They may also want to consider hiring a dog behavorist who specializes in aggression. I know some people who did and they told me she used the method I just described and they have seen vast improvements.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.