HELP kitten wont quite suckling my cat!

Home Community Cat Behavior HELP kitten wont quite suckling my cat!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  anna 16 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

mandi

i have a kitten that is about 2 months old and is still tryin to suckle my older cat, the thing is she’s not even his mother. She basiacally adopted him when i found him outside. He is starting to look kinda sickly so i have been keeping a eye on him, i was wondering if maybe it isnt milk that he is getting from her, she has never made milk even when she has a litter of kittens she never could make milk for them, but yet her belly like where she is soppsed to feed the kittens from is dropped down and she hasnt had a litter of kittens sense about 5 months ago… so if anyone had any advice please contact me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anna

Milk doesn’t always need to be present for a kitten to suckle anything, I think it would be a long the same senario as a dog be taken from his mother too soon and their not being enough time to wheen so they look to suck on something else, my dog does this with a stuffed bear and I’ve gotten "hickey’s" before from kittens who weren’t wheened off properly. Either way if it’s not hurting either cat then just let them work it out and they will.

Stephanie

No big deal at all and quite normal.

Kate

Aww kittens usually start to ween around three months old so your kitten is still in the early stages. She is just becaving like a normal kitten. I wouldn’t worry too much. As long as you are feeding he kitten and your older cat allows her to suckle there is no harm. What will probably start to happen is that the older cat will start to resject the kittens attempts to suckle and encourage them to eat solid food. You may have to play a part in this too.

anna

Although the suckling shouldn’t be a problem. Your older cat will most likely not produce milk, is ust instinct on the little guy’s part.
    However, the "looking kinda sickly" troubles me . . .
    Has he been to a vet?
    Has he started his vaccines? Received a Roundwormer dewormer?
    Is he on vet-approved flea drops (Advantage, Frontline, or Revolution)?
    How is his stool? Diarrhea? Tapeworms?
    Is he gaining weight?
    Stray kittens can have all sorts of issues . . . the kitten should have probably already been to a vet (for his age) and received a vaccine and a dewormer, as well as FelV/FIV tested if you found him outdoors, and had flea drops administered. Fleas (even if you can’t see any) cause anemia and pass tapeworms, and many kittens get roundworms directly from their mother. Other intestinal parasties can cause problems . . . and Feline Leukemia should always be tested for in outdoor cats who have not been vaccinated against it.

anna

ps. This is the absolute best advice I can possibly give you over taking the younger kitten to a vet:
    GET MOMMA SPAYED ASAP!
    She is about to go into heat again by the timeline. There are too many cats and kittens in this world being euthanized at shelters, for the sole reason that there are just too many.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.