Grandmother’s bird may be pregnant

Home Community Birds Grandmother’s bird may be pregnant

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  kim 16 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Emily

My cousins in California got a cat about a year ago and shoved their pet birds onto my grandmother who also lives in California. One bird fell ill however, and died. My grandmother got another bird to keep the first one company. Now the birds are inseparable, the new female is getting fat, and I think she might be pregnant. From what my grandmother has told me, the bird is showing all the signs of being pregnant: the male is feeding the female, the birds are grooming each other, and the female is getting a little larger everyday, but I’ve never bred birds and my grandmother and cousins haven’t either. I know we need a nesting box and I have some bird books with a little chapter on breeding that could help my grandma. But I live in Maryland and my grandmother lives in California, so it’s kind of hard to help her when all we can do is talk over the phone. Plus, like I said, I don’t know much about breeding birds myself. Please help.

Emily

By the way, the birds are budgies.

kim

First of all. Bird don’t get fat when pregnent, nor fo they get pregnent. They lay eggs & you may need to check the diet of the bird as some are prone to being little fatties from over eating.
    A check to see who is who with the budgies. First of what’s the age of the new budgie? If s/he’s young then no it’s not likely they’re breeding just yet. The cere (nostrils) above the beak will tell the sex of the budgies. Blue cere for males & pink/brownish for females. Jouveniles can also have female colour ceres until they mature. Not all bonded pairs do breed, some just bond together & that’s it. Also same sexes can have very strong bonds. These aren’t indications of them nesting. It just means they’re getting along which is great. I would weigh the large budgie & take him/her to a vet & get a good diet. I am pretty certain it’s just over eating. What are you feeding them? They need a good budgie specific pellet mix, only a LITTLE seed daily, no nuts & some fruit & veg for a good balance. Also do you know what the last budgie dieed from? If it was a disease then you’ve put the new bird at risk if you haven’t quarenteened it & cleaned out the cage thoroughly staright after the old budgie died.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.