Checking Out A Rescue

Home Community Pet Adoption Checking Out A Rescue

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Barbara 13 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

K

We hear/read it all the time, rescues should do in depth checks on potential adopters before approving an application. What I’m wanting to tackle here is, background checks on rescue organizations. I think that dealing with a good solid and reputable rescue org, is just as important as making sure that adopters are the best people for a particular animal.
    My questions, and I’ll post more as I think of what to ask, are:
    1) How does one go about checking into the reputation of a rescue organization?
    2) Who does a potential adopter contact in order to find out if the rescue they are interested in has knowledge of the animals in their care, and how the animals are kept and cared for?
    3) Most rescues ask for at least 3 references on an application, so who would be the best person/organization to contact outside the rescue to "double" check a rescues credibility?
    4) What sort of questions should one ask when checking out a rescues references?
    5) What would you consider to be "red flags" or signs that the rescue you are inquiring about isn’t up to "par" and might be one to steer clear of?

Stephanie

I’m Secretary for a no-kill shelter…but other than that states Dept of Agriculture and just word-of-mouth, I don’t know.
    There are unfortunately, poorly run shelters just as there are poorly run businesses of every kind.

nicola

This is quite an intersting question. There are certain organisations such as the kennel club which can supply the names of specifec breed shelters which tend to be better than general ones but I have no idea how or indeed if they check out the shelters they recomend

Barbara

Contact the rescue organization themselves and ask for references as well as any and all questions you might have.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.