Two of my dogs are licking up their urine

Home Community Dog Behavior Two of my dogs are licking up their urine

This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Jessi 15 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Missy

My dogs Bonnie and Donna are licking up their urine, I was wondering what would make them do this, and how could I stop it? If anyone has any kind of help I would greatly appreciate it.

Stephanie

How old are the dogs?

nicola

This is sometimes a result of dogs beeing confined as a young pup, if they have only just started though then thats probably not the case. I have also heard that it can happen in unspayed females when their hormones change. It isnt harmful for them to drink their own urine as long as there is also clean water available to them. Have you changed anything in their diet or routine recently?

Stephanie

Check out the link I provided-great reference website—this will take you directly to the page concerning this issue. 🙂

Missy

I’m not sure about how old they are, I know that Donna is the older one they are mother and daughter, and they were kept in seven cages with 98 other dogs. Bonnie
    does it the most, and Bonnie isn’t completely potty trained yet, Donna is 99 percent there, but she does it sometimes when she doesn’t tell us she needs out. When Bonnie pees on the floor and she knows shes not supposed to she goes and gets Donna to go help her lick it up. It’s stopped but sometimes when they need to go they will do it to cover it up from us.

Stephanie

OH. I asked thinking that they may be pups…that said..did you check out that link I said? Sounds as if it’sno big deal…other than just kinda gross.

Missy

Yeah I looked at the link, and it’s not really a problem just really disgusting.

Stephanie

Well, it mentions a few medications in the link. I know they make things to make poo taste bad (like it could be worse!?)…maybe they have something for urine too….you could ask your vet…..and make sure your dogs always have FRESH water…try to correct them when you see them drinking urine and take them to their water. That’s really about all I could tell you. Good luck!

Jessi

I was browsing through here hopefully to find answers! That link was helpful… My 18 month old Beagle has from a very young age licked up his urine in his kennel. I only caught him once in the act right after he did it when he was 6 months old. He is kenneled when I am at work during the day. There is no urine visible but I can smell it a little in the kennel. If I leave a blanket or towel in there, he will pee on it instead. I have also seen him lick his urine off of a grassy spot he just peed on. He is fully potty trained when I am HOME. I taught him to ring a bell to go potty, and I know he can hold it since he has anywhere from 8-10hrs while we are sleeping either on his bed or my bed. Regarding his past, I know the family I got him from when he was a few months old, got him from a pet store which I know in turn got him from a puppy mill… Is this just the puppy mill problem or whats up?? It just irks me so much! Cause he is good about it when I am not at work. PLEASE HELP!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.