Budgies and rats

Home Community Birds Budgies and rats

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Betsy 17 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

flying_rats

Ok, I wasn’t exactly sure if this should be put here or in Critters Castle, but anyway. I live with 2 budgies. Edi is older and dominant over Sputnik. I’ve had her for nearly a year. Edi is also pretty vicious. She bites everyone except me. She gets along with Sputs pretty well, although she does pick on him sometimes. Sputs, I’ve only had for a month or so. Anyway, I recently got a baby rat. Her name is Artemis and she’s adorable. I let the budgies out of their cages whenever I’m in my room, coz if I don’t Edi goes mad and starts smashing her bell around. But I also want Arty to get used to me, so I get her out too. She climbs up my shoulders and sits on my lap. But the budgies also land on me, especially Edi. I love them all dearly, I just worry a little about what’ll happen when budgie meets rat and who’ll bite who. I can’t really take the budgies or the rat out of my bedroom, coz we also have a dog, who thinks they all look tasty. Sometimes I put Edi and Sputnik in my brothers room, with his budgie, but more often it’s his budgie that comes to visit mine. I also don’t trust my brother enough to leave Edi and Sputs with him alone. He isn’t very good at caring for them, and he hates Edi coz she bites him. So anyway… is it possible for the budgies and rat to get along? Thanks.

Linda

I’m sorry, but you are endangering your birds. pet rats chew legs off pet birds.

Betsy

I agree with Sage…do not let them have any physical contact. You’ll have to rotate them being out…keep the rat in the cage when birds are out, and vice versa. In addition to the risk of serious injury, there is also the risk of bacterial infection if the rat bites or his saliva comes into contact with the birds. Birds are sensitive to mammal bacteria so if any of your birds ever have contact with your rat, dog or any other pet’s mouth or droppings they need to go on an antibiotic prescribed by your vet. Don’t ever let the budgies drink or eat out of the rat’s bowls. The best way to avoid this, is to avoid all contact between the two species. Remember, these are all wild animals and even though we like to ‘humanize’ our pets, they have instincts and territorial behavior that can get them into trouble! Also, if your brother isn’t good at caring for his budgie, maybe the budgie should be cared for by you…be sure not to let the bird suffer due to neglect…sounds like you take good care of your birds.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.