Biting Hamster! Help

Home Community Small Pets Biting Hamster! Help

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 20 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

lauriemay1

My daughter recently received a hamster as a gift for her 8th birthday. He’s very cute, black and white ( I believe he’s a Panda Bear Hamster). I was not at the pet store to help her pick him/her out so I really don’t know what it’s sex is or how old he/she is. I’m assuming he’s young because he was caged with other hamsters at the pet store. Okay, here’s my problem: Spooky (his name) is very very afraid of humans. When we try to pet him he rolls over on his back or runs down a tube to get away. You can not handle Spooky at all. I’d be afraid he’d jump out of my hands and get hurt. He bit my daughter 2 times now and bit her very hard. Drew blood for her fingers. She’s afraid to put her hand in the cage again. I understand that he’s afraid and he needs time to get used to our scent, but how is he going to get used to our scent if we have to start wearing a glove to reach in there? It’s not fun to have a pet you can’t pet and hold and love? Also, is it dangerous for her since he bit so hard? Disease etc…? Any suggestions will be so appreciative. Thank you, Laurie

Karen

This seems to be a pretty common complaint with pet store animals. Even hamsters, mice, rats and guinea pigs, rabbits, etc are mill bred for the pet store trade. the babies tend to be poorly handled and are not gotten used to handling when young and then get shipped (sometimes hundreds of miles), stuffed in a cage and them spend the time until sold (or whatever if they get too old and big to be cute and placeable) being tapped at, grabbed and put back, loud sounds that can be stressing, etc. Plus, temperament is hereditary in nature – we take what nature gives us and then expand upon it. Animals bred for pet shops are bred with no thought for the hereditary part of temperament (I used to personally know several mill breeders in New England who bred small pets for the pet trade, this information comes from personal education and aquaintances and experiences with this type of breeder). The deal is breed as many, sell as many and get that money in. Health and temperament often take back seat to the check. So, with this understanding. Your daughter also may have handled the animal roughly the first timeand spooked it or not be given enough time at the pet shop to handle and see how the animal was before purchase. Also, clerks are very slick at selling animals. If the hamster’s first experiences with humans were not good, then he may never fully trust them. But he may also be able to learn trust. It will take time and patience… I would start by keeping your daughter quiet and calm. Have her hold out a really scrumptious treat for her pet to take. When it is taken END IT AT THAT! The critter needs time to start associating humans with good. When the hamster is calm and relaxed about taking treats, then see if it can be coaxed onto the flat of the hand and allowed to eat there. NO PICKING UP UNTIL THE ANIMAL IS TOTALLY SECURE WITH BEING IN THE HAND OF HUMANS. When this happens, bring the animal out, held securely and immediately bring to the body so it feels secure. Many small children are not mature enough, they are quick and sometimes screechy and fast with their handling. All this can affect the willingness of the animal to be held. She needs to learn to maintain self control and calmness as the hamster needs to learn trust. (I work with kids and animals quite a bit and am a mother myself!)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.