BSL coming to your town?

Home Community Dogs BSL coming to your town?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Danny 16 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Danny
    Participant

Please watch the following video and then give us your opinion on Breed Specific legislation. Thank you

K

PETA sent my county a letter a few months ago, urging them to place a ban on Pit Bulls after a 2 year old was attacked and killed in his family’s town home. Our county council assured us that BSL would not happen here, and we have state laws to prevent BREEDS from being banned or declared as dangerous. Thank goodness! Investigation into the death of the little boy revealed that his mother had found the dog when he was an older pup, taken him in and kept him EVEN AFTER he had showed signs of aggression towards people. The mother kept the dog chained to a tree and when she brought him "inside", the dog was locked in the utility room of the town home. He’d had NO socialization at all, was known to be aggressive towards humans, and the real kicker… she left her [ young ] kids home alone that day and two small children let the dog out of the unlocked utility room. They ran and the dog gave chase, ending up in the toddlers room where the attack occurred. Council’s response to PETA’s letter… "ANY breed is capable of an attack like that. It’s the mothers "fault" for a number of reasons."

Susan

Rottie,
    I saw this earlier and thought about you wondering if you saw it….its a Rott nursing a kitten…….Suebee

K

That’s awesome! My rott, Kimmi, was like that. When my sisters boss threatened to kill all of the puppies that her dog had… we took them in and found them homes. Kimmi cared for them as if they were her own. They were old enough to eat, and had been eating solid food for a few weeks, but still… she kept them together and stayed with them at all times. And she also adopted a sick goat at one time. She would sleep in a shed in our back yard with the goat and she’d keep the other dogs and animals away from it. She’d guard its food and only let that one goat eat it, while circling and keeping horses and other goats away from the feed pan. She was a great dog!

Danny
    Participant

Hey suebee54 isn’t that incredible, makes you wonder what people are thinking reporting this breed the way they do!? Back in "the wrong breed blamed..Pit bulls again" about #41 I posted under my (almanac post, lol) some videos you should watch, in one of them it had this same dog, but it was a ‘still" shot of her, I think its the same dog? But hadn’t seen the video before, pretty impressive! But check out the ones I posted with the rotties and the baby. My sister bless her heart is one of the those who has turned against the breed. She had one from six weeks to about a year old but got rid of it. She said it growled at her baby. Actually the dog was making the noise you will see and hear the dog in one of the videos making as it plays with the sock with the baby. My sister interpreted her dog incorrectly and like so many others she decided the dog was a liability around her child. Actually the dog in the video is rather quiet compared to many rotts, their just very vocal dogs, Big difference but I can see how it can be misinterpeted though. But being vocal is not growling when it comes to these dogs! Little did she know she gave up a very carrying loving loyal part of her family based off of ignorance. If after looking at the videos I posted you have anymore other then the ones you see I have please post, thanks……

Danny
    Participant

Diamondtiger I gather your in your thirties? So your childhood was a few year ago, but not to many :). The only thing that has changed is our ability to put up on the airways and in an instant the news of the day! So while we know dogs were biting back then as they are today we hear about it in a micro-second today where as just 50 years ago you might not have ever known? You have shared some very serious stories that you had to endure as a child. You didn’t get physically malled compared to some, but emotionally and mentally it appears so. Do you think maybe the number of bites hasn’t risen so much as our ability to hear the stories? I mean with the media today right, compared to say the 1940’s or 50’s or long before. It is my impression that nothing has changed regarding breeds other then the unfortunate hijacking of the Staffordshire dogs into Pit fighting dogs. Which society I think as a majority is smart and will decipher this fact. Its the politics, liabiltiy driven by good-old money right that is the real burden here? But other then that dogs have been doing this for centuries! No one on the west coast would have ever heard about a dog mauling on the east coast 50 years ago unless by covered-wagon and many months, ok maybe morse code! So to me it appears nothing is new except our ability to report it fast and lawsuits of coarse!

Danny
    Participant

whoops my post above was suppose to go here>>>"Have you ever been bitten by a dog"? Cut & Paste time…the heat is shutting down the brain I guess? time for something cold to drink……………..

Danny
    Participant

Let me clarify, I have no idea why I put a smiley face next to this topic (heat again?), rather shoud be a ‘thumbs down icon" Maybe Daphne Reed will read this and change it for me, (hint).
    Rottie

Susan

Diamondtiger and Rotti,
    I’ve been reading some on the post about wrong breed and different breeds that are spose to be vicious….but……I read not long ago that a Siberian Husky mauled a baby…it was on CNN website….I have a Siberian Husky and she is nothing but a sweetheart….I can’t imagine a husky doing that but I know it has to be possible since it did happen……sometimes Panda will do her whoo whoo sound and people thinks she is growling, but its not a growl its her being her vocal sweet self, she just wants to be part of the conversation….lol……..dogs can be so misunderstood by people who dont’ know anything about specific breeds….so guess we’ll just have to keep defending them and educating people for the breeds that one prefers to own…..

K

dogs can be so misunderstood by people who dont’ know anything about specific breeds….so guess we’ll just have to keep defending them and educating people for the breeds that one prefers to own..?–suebee — You’re right, and that’s exactly what I intend to do. That’s the reason I stay involved in the thread "Wrong Breed Blamed Again". It’s what, 62 pages long now, and I’d be crazy to expect that anyone (anti or pro PB) would read through all of that before stating an opinion. Neither Rottie or myself (or anyone else who’s posted there to defend these dogs) has said that *some* dogs of these breeds don’t/won?t bite or aren’t capable of doing severe damage when they do. As a responsible APBT owner, I understand and am willing to admit that this is true, SOME do. However, 1 or even 100 dogs does not represent the entire breed. In that too, I want people to realize that these dogs are no different than any other large breed, and that the damage they inflict is no different than that of other large breeds (and even small breeds depending on the size of the victim). It irks me to no end when I hear (or read) people say that an attack from a small breed is ?excusable? because ?had the victim been an adult, the damage would have been minimal?. Foolish ignorance is what that is? had the victim been an ADULT, as if attacks on children don?t matter. Many dog bite victims are small children (more children than adults), so as far as I?m concerned? the size of the dog does not matter! The ?proof? is in the headlines when I read, Pomeranian kills 6 month old baby, or Dachshund mauls 6 week old, or even Ferret chews toes off of baby. These are all very small animals, yet they are just as capable of killing or inflicting serious injury as a Pit Bull or other large breed of dog. And it amazes me that after seeing video after video, visual evidence contrary to what many people say and/or think about these dogs, that those who believe that they are nothing but vicious killers could still believe that they are any more a danger to people, children, than other breeds (large and small). It breaks my heart when I read posts on forums and blogs, ?I hate Pit Bulls? and follow that with some insane myth that could ONLY be a myth that rumors and media have created, and they don?t even bother to research and find out if it?s true and refuse to reason when facts are presented to them. And then there are the comments like ?I wasn?t aware that I would have to worry about anyone coming for my dog.? I feel that all dog owners, in this day of BSL, should research the facts of these insane laws and look to the past, because it WILL in fact happen to them if we don?t stand together to stop this now. History speaks for its self? Dobermans, GSDs, Rottweilers, and now Pit Bulls along with countless other breeds (some of which people don?t even know are on these lists). Your dog suebee, is on BSL lists in many communities throughout the US, http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL/BreedsaffectedbyBSL.htm, as are many other breeds that people wouldn?t think *should* be targeted. Now, I wonder? how many people who NEED to, will look at the link that I just provided? I?m betting not many if any. How many of our dogs have to die, before people will admit that this is wrong and actually do something to change or end the threat of these insane laws?

K

I?ll say too, that in our fight against BSL, many well intentioned dog owners could use some education as well, BEFORE they go out and get a dog. People scream, ?it?s how you raise them? and that is somewhat true. But, as responsible pet owners, people need to realize that a large part of keeping our dogs and our communities safe is knowing and understanding that genetics play a big role in how a dog will ?turn out? as it matures. This is why it is SO important that people STOP supporting back yard breeders who don?t test their animals before allowing them to breed. People need to know how and being willing and able to handle/manage the dog they choose to own, as well as know when to and be able to euthanize an unsound animal. Our family adopted an APBT puppy a few months ago who was extremely dog aggressive even as a 2 month old pup. This is a standard trait among APBT?s and we are aware of this and willing and able to manage this behavior. She, in the last month however, began to show signs of sever human aggression, which is an unacceptable trait for the American Pit Bull Terrier. After incidents of her snapping at my feet when she would be sleeping under the desk and I moved, and biting my daughter in the face (didn?t break the skin), we made the decision to have her put down. She was not sound and her aggression was and would continue to get worse, even with training and all of our attempts to manage the behavior. Of course it was a hard decision to make, she was a very much loved member of our family. We have a responsibility to our kids as well as the public though, to keep a dog like that out of society? and that?s what we did.

Susan

Diamond Tiger,
    Just looked at the list and Huskies are #9?….my Panda wouln’t bite hot butter…..she runs from the cat cause he scares her…she lays down when he walks by….LOL…well actually the cat has ALL the dogs right where he wants them….
    I have a story about a Pit Bull momma she belongs to a neighbor but he don’t feed her so I do…he’s spose to be getting his disability soon so I"m just feeding them until he starts getting some money….but anyway….her name is Keira and she had 13 puppies….the owner found homes for 6 of them and so she still had 7 left….she kept bringing the 7 to my house…she knew they were safe here so I let her stay here with them and I found homes for them….so when the last of her pups were picked up she run to the barn and found out they were gone and started crying….then she found a squeeky toy the pups had played with and had it in the barn with her protecting it,she would walk around with it in her mouth too and cry.she did this for over 2 weeks afterwards.the other day I saw she wasn’t in the barn and I brought it in the house so she could get on with being a dog instead of mommy to a "pretend" puppy.I see her being the best dog mommy always protecting her pups when they were here and often think some human mommy’s could take lessons. Oh yea, and another time a neighbor has one of her pups, he hears a knock at his door, he opened it up, didn’t see anybody, she walked in and stole her pup out of his livingroom. LOL.

Danny
    Participant

>>>>>?dogs can be so misunderstood by people who don’t’ know anything about specific breeds….so guess we’ll just have to keep defending them and educating people for the breeds that one prefers to own"< <<<<>>>>I agree regarding those that will be open minded and willing to except good common since! Those that cannot focus on good common since will normally reply saying what we represent, our points are not logical! Granted a dog biting someone is a scary painful experience no doubt, so are a lot of other things, those other things that kill and maim far more people we as humans work diligently to correct (not ban). This is no different just a much smaller problem.

adriean

There is so much talk about bad dogs, good dogs, big dogs and little dogs. All I know is that my family loves both our dogs and our other pets as well and anyone trying to hurt any of them is in for quite a surprise. Our dogs go everywhere with us and are never left alone unless it’s at home. My daughter and I are very protective of them.

Adriean

Danny
    Participant

Adriean good point and I couldn’t agree more…My dogs would protect me (as I’m sure yours would do the same for you) with their lives but at times in my neighborhood they don’t know when they might be in danger. So l too have my dogs back as well….The ignorance that comes with the third-world citizens is incredible. I have had to run out to the end of my property and prevent a rock etc from being thrown at my dogs. This because the person was angry that my dogs was barking at them. Ah hello, my dogs are on their property and you arnt even suppose to be in this country let alone picking up a rock etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.