finaly got a lil guy!!!

Home Community Small Pets finaly got a lil guy!!!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  anna 16 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

linzi

ok right you may have seen me on many different forums saying that im getting a gerbil, chinchilla, guineapig and so many more. well i finaly got a pet guess what it is its a chinchilla its so cute its called toby and hes dark grey and right now hes sleeping in his little box where he sleeps and i got him from this lady who was moving abroad so she had to give it away and she gave me a good offer ?50 for a cage that i think is worth about ?70 and loads of acceseries and sand bath and sand and hay and sawdust and everything it was well worth it!!!! hes a boy well oviously because ive been saying he alot hes friendly. wen i went to pick him up from the ladies house she picked him up and let me hold him but now i want to pick him up on my own but im not sure how???? plz help me!!!

Stephanie

Like I said on my previous post responding to you about guinea pigs…there is unlimited information on the web. You should be able to find books, websites, etc.

Chinchillas need special care/special diets. It’s VERY important that ANYONE considering adopting a pet of any kind research the animal so they know basics: how to care, what to feed, safe toys, how to handle, etc.

Now that you already HAVE the pet, it’s time to backtrack-do your research so that you can learn how to properly care for your new friend.

Good luck.

Jordon

Lol, picking up Chinchillas is pretty simple, just pick him up with your hand at his sides, then make sure you are giving him good support by holding a hand underneath him and it would be wise to make sure you have a hand over him aswell as they can jump pretty high. Hope that helped ^-^

linzi

well thnx and my chinchilla toby isnt so simple to pick up becoz he wriggles alot and uv got to hold him tight but ive picked him up he just gets scared but hes just got to get used to it

Jordon

He should get used to it in time, just know that Chinchillas do take along time to get used to it, and if its an older one it may take even longer. Just try holding him for a small amount of time, and gradually increasing it ^-^

Daniellle

i would invest in some chinchilla books from yur local pet shop or book store bcos chinchillas are complicated animals and yu need to make sure yu know everything

anna

The best way to pick up a chinchilla is OFTEN!! the more you handle him the less it will stress him out when you do. You can in an emergency just grab him, chinchillas can also be lifted by their tails, but if they are scared and struggling they have been known to lose their tails like lizards, so this is not recommended unless you and your chin are very comfortable with each other and he is just being a brat.
    Most of the time you should just get him in a corner and just very slowly reach in and pick him up, just wrap both hands around his middle, carry him out, and hold him.
    Best ways to hold him (and hold him as much as you can every day to get used to you) are just perch him on your arm, cradled like a baby, but he will be sitting on all fours. Chins like to feel secure, like there is a good foundation supporting them. He may want to climb on your shoulders and head, which is fine. You may also want to cup one hand on his belly and have the other hand under his rear with his tail curled under. You can do this well by holding his back to you as he faces out, so that he is supported on three sides.
    One last thought: chins are very social animals, they live in groups. Have you thought of getting another as a friend for him? They become very friendly and social. If there are no females, two males will get along just fine. just introduce them very gradually by putting their cages touching at first and letting them have more and more contact over a period of weeks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.