No idea what to do

Home Community Dog Behavior No idea what to do

This topic contains 13 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Patti 16 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Alandra

I have a 1 1/2 year old Australian Shepherd named Sheila. When I got her I was a moron and basicly taught her to bite people to get her way. We live in a small town so we cant get dog training for her. I dont have the time to give her the exercise she needs. We have been putting of getting her her one year shots and rabies shot because we are worried she will hurt the people at the vets office. A few months ago our neighbors Daschund adopted us(they arent the best dog owners). When he lived with us Sheila was almost perfect. She had someone to play with and we could go in the backyard without being assaulted. So I dont know if I should get another dog or get rid of Sheila. Im worried because of her breed she will get adopted by someone with a farm. She is very spoiled and people around here shoot dogs that dont work out for them. My other neighbor has a dog thats litter mates were all shoot because the people that bred the dog didn’t want to find homes for the puppies. Plz help

K

What a spot to be in… Okay, this is gonna sound mean, but it’s something to think about. Why would you consider getting another dog when you don’t have time for the one you have now? Bad idea… I would suggest that you MAKE time for your dog since you committed to her in the first place. I’m glad you owned up to creating the problem… that’s a step in the "right direction". But please don’t hand her off to someone else just because you no longer want to deal with these issues. Have you taught her basic obedience? If so, google NILF (Nothing in life is free). Give her the exercise she needs and make her work for what she wants (using NILF). As for the vet, use a muzzle. She needs to be vaccinated. 🙂

Margaret

I agree first of all that the dog needs to go to the vet. They can put a muzzle on her right away to give her her shots. It isn’t a big deal. My border collie has to have one cause she gets so nervous, that she tends to snap.
    Then I would try to resolve the situation. Try to do a little obedience yourself. With some treats, teach her to sit and down. In that way, you can control her a little.
    Then if all that doesn’t work, why not look for the rescue groups. There are some great people that do that.
    Margie

K

Most rescues will encourage people to work with the dogs to modify the behavior before accepting an owner surrender (some don’t take owner surrenders at all). A lot of rescues, and even some shelters, have tons of information and suggestions to help people who are thinking of giving up because of behavioral problems. Take a look at this site… there’s a lot of good stuff here and some points to other great information. 🙂
    http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/index.html

Stephanie

FInd an Aussie rescue or contact your local NO-KILL shelter. You yourself said that you don’t have time for your pet. It seems as though it would be selfish if you kept her knowing that.

She has been your faithful companion-do right by her and make SURE that she goes to a loving home.

Many websites/rescues will let you advertise your pet at NO COST TO YOU….Petfinder.com MAY be one of those…check it out and see.

Good Luck!

K

I hate to be the "downer" here, but again, many rescues will not take an owner surrender. Shelters take them, but generally put them in line first for euthanasia (here they do) if a rescue isn’t able to pull them (especially if the dog has a history of biting). They don’t have the time nor the resources to rehabilitate a dog "like that". Rescues are much the same… they are there to help homeless animals first and foremost and look down upon people who are looking to re-home their pets due to behavior issues that they created. Rescues also don’t have the resources to rehabilitate a dog that someone is "getting rid of" due to behavior issues such as biting. Now sbond007 is "onto something" in that a rescue MAY be willing to do a courtesy listing of your pet, but in that you need to be COMPLETELY honest with them about ALL of your dogs behavioral issues. They need to know that she’s a biter and they’ll most likely want to meet her and test her temperament before they’ll list her for you. If they list her for you, you will need to keep her in your home until she is adopted, so you’re better off working with her and correcting these problems and keeping her yourself. Keep in mind too, if a rescue does test her and she shows aggressive behavior, they may ask you to surrender her to them so they can have her humanely euthanized.

Margaret

I certainly just learned a lot about the rescue situation. I didn’t realize that they put them to sleep also. But it makes sense, cause they certainly don’t have time to train the dog. I have seen around here, a car that advertises that they go around to people’s homes and train the dog. Look in your yellow pages and see if your town has one of those. Or call some of these dog training schools and see if there is someone that would be willing to come to your house and help you with the dog.
    By the way, Diamond Tiger, where do you live in South Carolina??
    Margie

Dale

The rescue that I am on the Board of here in Florida will usually do courtesy listings for people trying to rehome their dogs and we have them hold onto the dog until we find them a home. We usually pull our dogs from kill shelters only. However, a known biter creates a liability we can not afford to take the risk with. Most dogs with agression issues require several months (or years) of training and even then there is no guarantee they won’t bite again. I’m still working with a beagle (Cordy) that was one of the first dogs turned into our rescue. She is for the most part a great dog but we found out also has temperment issues. I’ve worked with her for 5 months now and she is much better but I will have to be extra careful where I place her. Sometimes I’m not sure if I’ll even be able to place her. In the time I’ve already spent working with her, we could have placed several other non aggressive dogs. Between the time required to work with an aggressive dog and the liability involved it is in a rescue’s best interest to pass on them. We didn’t know about her issues until we already had her. But please don’t worry about us putting Cordy down. I’ve grown fond of "Ms. Grouchypants" and will end up keeping her if I can’t find a home for her. The only bad part of that is it prevents me from taking in another foster dog to fill her spot.

K

Margie – Yes… it’s a sad reality, but we can’t save them all no matter how badly we want to. And helping a dog that has known aggression issues takes time and resources away from other animals that are well balanced and adoptable right now. Not trying to make HH feel bad, but his case is a perfect example. How many adoptable dogs died while he has been working with this ONE? (Sorry HH, I can’t think of a nicer way to put it.) I can’t speak for all rescue orgs, but the one that I’m on the board of with would rather have an aggressive dog signed over to us for humane euthanization, than to put anyone at risk of being hurt or killed by an unstable animal should it be re-homed. A lot of rescues follow this practice… and I agree with it. It also depends on the REASON for the aggression as well as other factors. We don’t just put them down on a whim, so please don’t misunderstand. 🙂 It’s hard tho, to have to say "no" to a dog when your heart is telling you to "give him a chance". *sigh* I’m in Charleston area btw. 🙂

Margaret

Diamond Tiger, I agree with you entirely. That would not be good to take a dog that already has a good home but has issues over one that really needs some attention and food etc. This person either needs to train the dog herself or put it down or get someone else brave enough to help her.
    I lived in Charleston for 30 years and now live in Anderson, S.C. You are very lucky to be living there.
    Margie

Dale

Diamond Tiger, I am in no way offended by what you said, it was the point I was trying to make. Besides, you’re my favorite poster and I respect your imput. It’s hard when you rescue dogs to turn any of them down but you realize it’s better to get as many adoptable as possible. And like you said when you have one that takes a very long time, it will prevent several from being saved. I have on several occassions considered having Cordy PTS just because her aggression may never get under control. I just haven’t ever done it before to any other dog I have rescued and it would really upset me to do it. I have grown to love her and she minds me very well. When I first got her she was so tense, her body completely stiff. I’ve noticed her literally relaxing herself where she fells like a normal dog. She is about 80% better than when I first got her. For anybody with dog aggression issues I would suggest the book "How to Right a Dog Gone Wrong" by Pamela Dennison. She is a trainer that adopted an aggressive Border Collie. She explains in easy to follow steps how to counter coundtion aggressive dogs. Her style is completely possitive reinforcement based. I met a couple with 2 aggressive dogs and by using what I learned from that book we have made great progress in the past 4 months and now our dogs can interact safely together. They can’t get over the difference in their dogs and recently adopted "Wiggles" from my rescue and everyone gets along great. Here’s a photo of "Wiggles" .

Click on any picture to see full size:

Stephanie

IN ADDITION TO MY PREVIOUS POST…..People ACCEPT a huge responsibility when they take in an animal. A pet OWNER putting a pet down down – FOR THIS REASON – is the easy way out. ……you all will find that I have no problem expressing my views…..and I respect all others……lol….that said, putting this animal down is NOT an option – not for me anyway. I’m not talking a animal control situation – I’m speaking specifically to pet owners.

If I am understanding the situation correrctly – ..this is a pet that you have had for sometime…this IS your PET. This animal did not choose you (or maybe it did), but you DID choose to take this animal in and care for it. You did this dog a disservice when you taught her to bite – and now you don’t want her anymore. You need to take the TIME to do 1 of these 3 things: 1. find your faithful companion a deserving, loving, forever home with a family that is willing to WORK with the dog. 2. work with your dog to stop the behavior (an INFINITE amount of info is available on the web) and let her stay with you – the only family she knows. 3. Find a no-kill rescue or shelter that is willing to take your dog and eventually place her in a forever home. Folks, THIS IS WHAT RESPONSIBLE PET OWNERSHIP IS ABOUT.

….and I also know that this is not a perfect world….but, DANG IT, each and every one of us know that it’s the right thing to do…

I’ll get off of my soapbox now.

Sue

It is extremely unlikely you will find a "low kill" shelter to take an unadoptable dog. they seldom have room & usually have a waiting list. keep in mind that if you should find someone to take her & she bites again – you can still be held liable because you KNEW she was a biter. how are you going to feel if she rips some little kids face off? you have been given excellent information here. I just don’t see quite as many options for her as some others do.

Patti

Scout,
    First thing, and Australian Shepherd is a herding dog. She is probably is very frustrated because she needs to work. All herding dogs have that need. You need to give her a purpose in life. Play fetch, frisbee, hide and seek. The more penned up energy she has the more it will be hard to control her.
    As far as vaccination, you need to get that taken care of. She needs her shots and heartworm pills. Muzzle her if needed. But you can also introduce massage into life. Even if it just laying around watching TV, dog do respond and calm down while being massaged. I used it on a sheltie I trained for going in circles so much he can make himself lame. He would actually come up and hit my arm as to as ‘More, don’t stop’.
    The biting I don’t understand to be honest. Why teach your dog to bite or nip. You can try when it happens to say "AH-AH!" if she stops immediately treat her. That one will take a long time and alot of consistency to stop that behavior.
    Would I give her up, no, you need to work with and spend some time with your dog. A dog is what you make of it. Just like a kid you can’t just can’t raise a kid 1/2 way…it is all or nothing…otherwise you are faced with the dilemna you are. Good Luck

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.