Re: How long do rabbits live???

Home Community Rabbits Re: How long do rabbits live???

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Daniellle 16 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Karen

When I first got into a rabbit and cavy club back in the late 1970’s and into the 1980’s, avergae life span for a rabbit was about 5 – 7 years. Since then with better understanding of managing the pet rabbit, great advances in rabbit medicine through the efforts of people such as the late Dr. Terry Reed, better nutrition, etc., a pet rabbit can live 7 – 10 years. I have known some to exceed that and live as long as 14 years (though this is rare). Rabbits kept indoors as pets on average have a longer life span. Outdoor life can be physically very stressing and also outdoor rabbits are at greater risk of various infections and parasitic infestations. Rabbits that are spayed or neutered on avergae have a longer live span (uterine infections and testicular problems are not uncommon in older rabbits). Rabbits getting proper nutrition and maintenance will live longer than ones not. But in the twenty years total I have been involved in these critters in varying capacities (and I bred them actively in the late 1980s to late 1990s), there has been a lot learned about rabbit management that has greatly incresed the life span of the pet rabbit.

GioBonkers

hi, my rabbit died just before christmas :'( aged 11, she had had no vaccinations and never had any health problems, she had a big hutch and was let out to run around the garden during the summer and i could even take her for walks on her harness 8)! her mum only lived for 5 years but she had been bred a few times, which can alter the life span. the record is held by a doe that lived for 18 years, really i wouldnt say there was an average, id say that it depends on the care and exercise the bunny gets for a healthy lifestyle :).

Daniellle

my rabbit bluebell was 6 when she had to be put down b/c of meningitis in her chest and she lived outdoors and was my first rabbit and she lived outside with my guineapig and they were bith fed burgess excel for guineapigs as i was told that if yu had a rabbit and a guineapig yu were supposed to feed them guineapig food rather than rabbit food

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.