breeding and using a nest box.

Home Community Rabbits breeding and using a nest box.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 20 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

rebecca.h1

im gonna breed my rabbit but i was just wondering should i use a nest box :-/ :-/ and is there any people that can tell me what is better with or without i know that books can tell me but i just wanted to hear other peoples opinion from some one who has had the eperience. thankyou. 🙂

Karen

As a former breeder, I have to ask you these first: 1) are you ready for the possibility of dead kit and even the life of the die being at risk if a kits gets stuck? I spent several hundred dollars my first litter ever when there were only two kits conceived and one was huge and got lodged in the birth canal. I lost both babies and could have lost the doe. 2) Are you ready for the doe to possibly go under a personality change and may never return to her sweet self? 3) What if she refuses to care for her kits and even kills them? 4) What if you cannot find homes for them (and NO, do not sell to a pet store – that is brutally irresponsible). 5) What if an owner calles you in five years and has to give up his rabbit he got from you? Will you take it back? Now, nest box – USE ONE!!!! Kits do not manage their body heat well and rely on a solid nest box lined with hay (not straw – too rigid and I have known of kits punctured by straw bedding) and fur the mother will pull. If kits are not kept warm, then they will die. Small litters are at greater risk. Even in the summer, a litter can die from being too cold (or too hot). If she gets the box too soon, she may start to use it as a litter box. I used t give my does the box on about day 21 – 25 of gestation (gestation is about 28 – 35 days with an average of 30). I’d give her a few days to get acclimated to it and build her nest. Check to make sure she is not pottying in it and of she is, clean it out, replace it and put it in a different spot. I removed the box when the kits are about 6 weeks and give them two more weeks out of the box before placing.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.