Rabbits burrowing tunnels to China???

Home Community Rabbits Rabbits burrowing tunnels to China???

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  ilovelicorice 20 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Sherylynne

:-* Our bunnies have a wonderful wooden hutch, but we built them a pen so they could run in and out of it and enjoy the outdoors in a safe place. In one day, they burrowed a tunnel so deep we can’t figure how deep. ?One bunny could not even open his red eyes due to all the dirt and irritation. ?We want to stop up the opening with a Volleyball – but tomorrow they will just do it again – won’t they? I am concerned that they will get sick on dirt since they are always licking and cleaning and now they are covered with dirt. I am concerned they will get into a neighbors unfriendly yard or an opossum will come in the other end (if there is one) and go into their safe pen and hurt them. I am afraid they can’t breathe in there, or one bunny will trap the other. What should I do to protect them? Does anyone have TAME nice domestic bunnies who turned to this style of living and stayed sweet? Sherylynne

๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜€ ;D ??? :-*To prevent your rabbits from digging tunnels, you should attach either mesh or something of the sort to the bottom of the pen. They shouldn’t be able to dig tunnels after that. If you get the mesh so that the squares aren’t so small that they can’t eat grass or get to plants through it, and not too big that they can get through and dig tunnels, they can enjoy munching on the plants and enjoying the garden just as usual.

Sherylynne

Thank you for your reply – do you think it is healthy or suggested to let them go ahead and burrow – or should they be stopped? THX Sherylynne

Karen

The breeders of angoras I used to know that kept their females in colonies (males were kept caged until a breeding was needed), all had their colony pens lined with heavy wire mesh about 8 – 12" under the dirt so the rabbits could not dig out under the walls. They also put in things that could be used as tunnels (go to your home improvement center and get the black pipe used for home sewer lines, etc. Works great). Rabbits be they wild or domestic have a natural need to dig. If left in an area where they can dig, they will. Also, provide them with appropriate chewing things and greens. Those I knew who kept females colonies never had issues with dirt eating, etc.

Sherylynne

THX for your advice about the mesh. I am wondering if I should prevent the bunnies from burrowing or if I should allow the bunnies to burrow. I do care about their natural instincts and needs, and at the same time I am worried about their safety and well being since they are "tame" and not "wild" bunnies – any other help would be appreciated. Sherylynne

honzik

:'( :-[ simply keep the bunnys in the hutch and let them out for runs only under supervision. If they start burrowing, just cave the hole in and put the bunnys somewhere else. ๐Ÿ˜€ ;D ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜‰ :-[ :-X ??? >:(

Sherylynne

I appreciate the time you took to offer your suggestion! Sherylynne

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.