can i check the rabbits nest for dead babies

Home Community Rabbits can i check the rabbits nest for dead babies

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 20 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

mearley

My rabbit unexpectedly has had a litter of kittens, I have read that you should not disturb them for about two weeks, but I have also read you should check the litter for dead ones, could some one give me correct advice, they are approximately 4 days old and I have no idea how many there are.

Karen

The info of not handling kits until two weeks of age is older info that really is not true and also much of the rabbit info out there was written by commercial rabbits raisers. Excessive handling is not recommended, but you have to be able to go in and check for dead or wasting kits and remove them. I always tried to breed from does that had no issues with me touching newborns. My does were very well socialized. Somewhere in my files I actually have pictures from about ten years ago of one of my dogs and young kits. The mom was so laid back and adaptive that this dog was allowed to be a close part of the litter from the moment they were born. Distract the mom with a good treat and quickly pop a hand in the nest box, push the fur and hay off from them, do a quick count and check, gently touch each baby if needed to move them to check and replace the cover and put the box back. If mom is upset, then take her out of the cage for a moment while you do the check or slide the nest box out. Most does will tolerate a daily inspection or two pf the nest box – especially if they get a good treat at the same time. IN ten years of breeding and rescuing rabbits, I never had a doe kill or abandon a litter because I touched the newborns. Just remember, rabbits only nurse one to three times a day and only for a few minutes (harkens back to when they were wild – get in, feed, get out, do not draw attention to the litter). Understanding of rabbit behavior and needs are far behind the times when compared to the advances made with dogs and cats.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.