Two rabbits : how often to clean out

Home Community Rabbits Two rabbits : how often to clean out

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Jen 16 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Daniellle

i have had 3 rabbits 4 years and 2 of them live together in a large 2 storey home made hutch but i end up having to clean them out every 3-4 days but my other rabbit angel only needs cleaninng properly every 8-9 days as the are all out in my garden all day anyway. Anyway i was just wondeing does any1 know what will help me keep their cage clean without complete cleaning of the whole hutch more than once a week and also they use 1 specific corner of the hutch for the toilet but it gets kicked everywhere

Keni

One thing that will help is to put a litter box in the corner that they use. Rabbits can be litter trained. Use recycled paper for the litter and clean it out every day. Do not use any wood products like cedar because the fumes are toxic to rabbits. This should keep the hutch much cleaner. To help them know to get into the litter box put some of their timothy hay in there and some of their droppings.

Jen

I agree with kenilynne. Litter training is the way to go. I have 3 fairly large rabbits that have full run of my house. My husband and I use large concrete mixing tubs (at Lowe’s or Home Depot for a couple dollars apiece). We fill the bottom with 3 inches of CareFresh and about 8 inches of very fluffed up timothy and orchard grass hays. We clean them out on Wednesdays and Sundays, adding hay almost every day, and refluffing 2-3 times a day. (Refluffing helps their pellets get to the bottom of the tub under the hay, and therefore not kicked everywhere.) We have 2 sets of tubs we use, so we can just rotate the tubs w/o disrupting the rabbits. The big cleaning is on Sunday, when we scrub everything down. Wednesday just consists of changing out the tubs and doing a quick sweep up of the floor for loose hay. I do know that straight white vinegar is a godsend in our house. We’re constantly wiping up any spots where they might have missed the tub. Maybe just a quick wipe up with white vinegar and a sweep with a small hand broom in between major cleanings would do the trick for you.

Daniellle

ye thanx for the help guys im gonna go buy a litter tray on sunday when we pick up food

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.