Ferret Fancy

Home Community Small Pets Ferret Fancy

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  KerrieR. 20 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Daphne
    Participant

Ferrets are an increasingly popular pet and our site for one has been visited by many very enthusiastic ferret owners. We want you to tell us all why ferret owners seem to be so involved with their pets relative to owners of other small pets. You can also share stories, tips and more.

KerrieR.

8)Hello everyone. Todays topic is Ferrets. You can buy them at your local pet stores, like Petsmart, or small pet stores. Buy them as babies about 7 weeks old, this way they can be taught to get along with your other pets. You must buy them a cage and food and water dishes. Be sure to baby-proof your house or apartment. Get a book on Ferrets, it will come in handy. Ferrets are predators to rodents and snakes, but they can be taught to get along with them. They are fun to have around, they bounce around laughing as they go. You will love their antics. Kerrie P.s. I have 2 girl ferrets, one is 3yrs, the other is 5 months old. Both were born at Marshal Farms in upstate New York. Marshal Farms sends their babies out at 6 months old. They are already fixed, and desented.

Fur_fiend

Hey Ya’ll!! I’m new here but I happen to be the proud mommy of 3 ferrets…Toby, Tori, and Hoss. The easiest place to find ferrets is a pet shop they run anywhere from $89.00-$120.00. I got my first on a whim and ended up leaving the pet shop with my pockets about $400.00 lighter!! Recently I’ve seen ferrets in the pet sections of local papers usually in pairs with cages and accessories for around $100. So just keep your eyes peeled. I got Hoss absolutely free, as a guy at my husband’s work found him playing with his dogs in the back yard. I also share my home with 5 dogs, 3 cats and 6 rats. The ferrets wrestle with the dogs and cats. Many times you’ll find a ferret waiting at the edge of a wall to sneak attack my lab! My rats are a new addition to the family but I am very unsure about letting the ferrets and rats play together as ferret instainct is to bite a rats head until it pops….something I’m just not willing to risk! I change their cage every other day as with 3 of them there is ALOT of waste! And one suggestion that would have saved me a good deal of money…get a cage WITHOUT a wired bottom!! Ferret poo is NOT peeletized like rabbits and rats…it is more like little cat poo with a dab of superglue…needless to say getting it off wire is NOT EASY! The best bet is a plastic bottom cage that you can remove the top and wash out like a cat litter box. Ferrets love to run and play. They make up their own games and you MUST participate…I get my ankles nipped if I don’t! LOL They will also not hesitate to curl up in your dresser drawers and fall asleep when playtime is over. They also WILL steal anything they can reach that strikes their fancy i have found slippers, dog toys, and even a rice krispie treat my step son had forgotten about and left on the floor in a baggie stored in my ferrets hiding places!! They are a great deal of work and demanding of your time but a ferret is the best friend you’ll ever have!! Even when you’re mad at them for stealing your favorite earring…you see that lil pink nose wigglin’ and those shiny eyes twinkling at you and you have to smile. That right there makes the money and time spent well worth it!!

rane1020

I got my ferret demon for valentines day 2 years ago. My hubby said go out and get one. Wrong thing for him to say…I left the pet store with my furry friend and well my hubby was short $500.00 in his bank account. Demon is such a little joy. He is always out playing when i am home and then goes to his 3 tier cage when i am out or cannot be watching him. One thing with ferrets is they are the 2 year old that just never grows up. Demon got his name cuz he is definately a little devil…hiding everything from jewellry to the dogs toys, but as soon as he is finished getting into trouble he will curl up into your lap…give you tiny lil ferret kisses and curl up like a kitten and fall asleep. They are amazing to watch and play, but they do definately like to be played with….Demon will lick my toes and if that does not get my attention they get chewed on. We have something that we do around the house that we call the ferret shuffle…he runs along with you so instead of risking stepping on him we shuffle along and shock each other with static electricity…but small price to pay for not hurting our little friend. Demon will do just about anything for ferretone…including climbing up my legs to get it. They truly just use their tiny little noses to wiggle their way into your heart and when they are in…they don’t ever come out…it becomes an addiction of the best kind. I am now looking into working for FRES (ferret rescue and education society) and maybe one day will become a foster mom too!

KerrieR.

They have a scar on their bellies. If she came from Marshall Farms, she will be Spayed and descented from the farm. Marshall Farms ferrets have two tattooed dots on their right ear.

i have a question,but dont know how to post a new one. …..how do i tell if my female ferret is spayed?

ceb123_2001

Ferrets in the Uk aren’t as common as in the United States, but yes they do have them there. I have 4 ferrets myself. They make awesome pets! Be sure you do your homework before you get one. I suggest buying a book on ferrets and doing searches on the internet. They can be very expensive and time consuming, but it is worth it to me.

fuzzylovers

hi to all the ferret lovers out there. my name is bob my wife is susan. we are the proud humans of two of the cutest fuzzies in the world, snickers and roscoe. snickers is a 4 year old cinnamon or butterscotch sable and roscoe is a 1year old black sable. we have been married 27 years and these are our first ”boarders" since our 3 children grew up and left the "nest". we never realized that these fuzzies would capture our hearts the way they have. ;D. have a ton of pictures to share. can’t wait to figure out how to get them on-line. these guys are our "grandchildren". LOL, the fuzzylovers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.