Lhasa Apso training

Home Community Dog Behavior Lhasa Apso training

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Jen 16 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Jen

My mother & little sister just took in Rocky, a 6 year old Lhasa Apso whose previous owner died in a fire just 3 weeks ago. He’s a very stubborn little guy, which I’ve read is a breed trait. He seems to be a bit aggressive at times, and very calm at others. He’s been snapping quite a bit, and we want to stop that ASAP. He doesn’t seem to respect my mom or my sister, but does well with both me and my husband. I would take him, but I have 3 bunnies that currently have the run of my house. So, here are the questions. First, what do my mom and sister have to do in order to gain his respect and show him they’re higher in the pack than he is? And, what type of training has worked in your experiences with this breed? Any tips, tricks, suggestions would really be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Sue

is he neutered? he needs time to get comfortable & if they are pushing him too much that may be causing problems. He has just gone through a lot of trauma – lost his owner & his home. Not making excuses for him but he does need some time You can google NILIF for help with the alpha position

Jen

Thanks, sue. Yes, he’s neutered, has been since he was only a few months old. We’ve been trying to take it easy on him since we do know what he’s been thru. We personally knew the previous owner, and her daughter (who was in school at the time of the fire) is good friends with my little sister (they’re both 15yrs old). We haven’t been pushing him to do too much, but even the basic stuff he’s not into. We were told that he wasn’t eating or going to the bathroom much since the fire. Before then, he was handfed table food. We finally got him to eat, and it’s regular dog food, and go to the bathroom. We took him to the vet on Monday, and he’s in good health with the exception of allergies. The biggest problem is getting him to go out for a walk in the AM before they head off to work/school. He doesn’t want to budge, and obviously, they don’t want him having an accident while they are not there or holding it all day. But, when they try to either coax him out with a treat it doesn’t work. When they try to push him out the door, he snaps. They got him out this morning, and he was OK when he was out, but when my mom tried to take off the leash, he snapped and caught my mom’s hand. Not too bad, but we don’t want that happening nonetheless. Other than that, he’s a great dog…he plays, he loves to be petted and just generally hang out with everyone.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.