Timid Hamster Trouble PLEASE HELP!

Home Community Small Pets Timid Hamster Trouble PLEASE HELP!

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 20 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I have just got a new baby hamster, and have given him everything he needs and a quiet environment. We left him for at least 24 hours to settle in, but now when ever I come into my room and he is awake, he just freezes or returns to the nest and stays there. I understand that he is scared, but I am trying to tame him by talking quietly and following the steps that i have read, but it is hard when I never see him. I am probably being too hasty and should give it time, but i need some advice, PLease!

Karen

You are being too hasty. First, give him more than a day to get used to the sights, sounds and smells of your home. Several times a day, quietly place your hand in the cage with a GOOD TASTY treat on it – something he does not normally get in his regular food mix. Allow him to start ON HIS OWN, coming on to your hand to get the treat. Get him to build trust in you. When he is very comfortable coming onto your hand, start to gently lift him a little. When you take him out, make sure the room is quiet (no friends over who will start squealing when he comes out or who may want to grab him and hold him too). If he feels secure while being held, he will be more liekly to enjoy it. But if he finds it a scary thing, he will run, hide and may even become a biter. It is not natural for hamsters and other small animals to want to be held. Remember, many of these pets are prey animals in the wild and they are more wary of things. We need to teach them to over come that fear and enjoy being held. Plus, if you got your pet from a pet store, these are very stressing environments for small pets, you have no idea how often people have poked at them trying to find the one they want, the pets sold at stores are generally bred only for money and without concerns for health or temperament (and yes, there are actual hamster clubs out there where you can learn about breeders and find good breeders). Also, small pets at pet stores are rarely handled and get no time to learn that humans are OK.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.