New pup in heat, frequent urination

Home Community Dog Behavior New pup in heat, frequent urination

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Mikki 16 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Tonya

We just took in a rescued one year old beagle/basset hound mix. She’s a sweet girl, and is in heat. I’ve never had a dog while she was in heat, and I’m not sure what to expect. She hasn’t bled much that I can see, but she urinates quiet frequently, and seems pretty thirsty. She plays well with my 5 year old mutt, and has a hearty appetite. She has not urinated on the floor when we’re home, but she did a couple of times by door when we had to step out. We’ve since gotten a crate, and she had urinated twice in it, although it was her first day. Do dogs in heat urinate more? How long does the heat last? We plan to spay her as soon as we can. How do I know when she’s done? Also, do dogs in heat assert dominance more than when they’re spayed/neutered? Sorry for so many questions, but I appreciate all the help!

Susan

Here is a link to the Heat Cycle of dogs….Hope the link works if it dont’ go to http://www.vetinfo.com and click on dog index then click on the H…..scroll down to Heat Cycle….Below is the link…..Suebee

Mikki

Are you sure she’s in heat? Either way, you need to take her to the vet. Increased drinking and urinating are symptoms of both diabetes and pyometra, among other things. If she is in heat you can have her spayed anyway. Get it done asap. Dogs in heat may assert more dominance, or they may be more timid than usual, it depends on the dog, but heat cycles definitely change their personality. Dogs in heat do usually urinate more, but not in the way she’s doing it. They will "mark" on walks and around the yard, but they won’t pee in their crate. The heat cycle can last from 2-4 wks in general. They are most fertile when the bleeding stops.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.