HELP!! My Dwarf Hamsters are…..

Home Community Small Pets HELP!! My Dwarf Hamsters are…..

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 20 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Alexia

Hi, ? I got my dwarf hamsters a litter box and they realy like it. They use it like there suppose to and when they eat there sunflower seeds they eat in there ( so it doesn’t make a mess). All has been good except for lately they keep dragging there bedding in there (which then I have to replace all the stuff in the litter box insead of just the junk) and there sleeping in there, now I know there not going to be perfect and I’m not expecting that but they have a house ( which they do sleep 1/2 the time ) but I dont want them sleeping in there dirty litter box. How can I get them to stop? ???

Karen

They will choose where they want to sleep and potty – there is not much you can do about it except clean the litter box out daily or totally remove it. Hamsters do not train like dogs or even cats do. They will choose where to potty and sleep and store food in their cages and if it is the same area, then it is the same area. My son’s hamster does the same thing and I change the bedding out every night, pull out stored food, give fresh food in the bowl, etc EVERY NIGHT It sounds like you have a lot of learning to do regarding hamsters in general and I strongly urge you to start doing your research solidly NOW. This is actually something that needed to be done before getting the pets. I want you to contact these places for additional help and advice from experts in the hamster world: http://www.forrestg.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/hamsoc/ http://www.geocities.com/CalHamAssoc/ They can also recommend better books than you can get at pet shops, etc. But get learning now before it is too late.

there is nothing you can do about them sleeping in their litter box. they will put there bed where they want to. i know my hamster don’t drag their bedding in there… they just sleep in the litter(which i hate) but can’t do anything about. it’s best just to let them be. you could tale their bedding out of it and out it back in their house but most likely they will just bring it right back to the potty after your gone. it’s best just to let them go for now most likely they will go back and sleep in their house after awhile. my hamsters are always switching where they sleep.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.