what is a 5 way

Home Community Dogs Health what is a 5 way

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Mikki 16 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Trisha

I bought my husband a Jack Russell. She is 61/2 weeks old, roughly about 1 1/2 lbs. and the day that I got her the breeder gave her what he called a "5 way" shot. I contacted my vet and they said that she should have had a "7 way" and that they didn’t know what 2 things were left out. She did pass some worms in her stool and has had loose, not runny, stool since. She is eating and drinking well, urinating and defacating regularly, but her tummy is still round. She is very playful and energetic. She takes good naps and sleeps well at night so far. I am not worried about her immediate health, but I want this worm business taken care of. Does anyone know anything at all about these shots? I am going to keep a good worming schedule with my vet, but I would like more information on this subject from others as well.

Lauren

Well, you should get her dewormed soon before she gets sick from them. There are 5 different species of worms that can infest dogs: Heartworm, Hookworm, Tapeworm, Whipworm and Roundworm. Most young pups are infested with roundworms. Other worms may be present but aren’t as common. It’s advisable to have your vet check your pup’s stool for roundworms b4 deworming becuz if other worms are present, a broad-spectrum deworming agent may be recommended. As for the "5-way/7-way" vaccines, those are probably combo vaccines where more than 1 vaccine are put together as a combo so the pup doesn’t have to come in every week or so for 1 of those 5/7 vaccines. Good luck with your puppy!

Melanie

Standard 5-ways combo usually includes: Parvo, Distemper, Adenovirus Type 2, Hepatitis and Parinfluenza. (i.e. Duramune or Vanguard). Usualy given at 6 and 9 wks. 7-way standard would contain Parvo, Distemper, Adenovirus Type 2, Hepatitis, Parinfluenza, 2-Leptospirosis. Usually at 12 and 15 wks and annual booster. (of course earlier)

Probably the "lepto: was left out. I would check with the breeder and ask what type of vaccine it was, if she says 5-way ask her what brand name (i.e. duramune, vanguard, galaxy, etc) Might even be on your shot papers if you got any.

Sue

puppies should not get lepto until at least the 3rd set of shots. main reason it is the one that most often produces a serious reaction. As per the protocol for all 27 vet schools in N. America VX’s should be given at 8, 12, & 16 weeks & specifically says that under no circumstances should any dog or cat be VX’d before 8 weeks. Most vets do not recommend the 7 in 1 because it is just too much for their immune systems at that age. The shots had nothing to do with worms. didn’t the breeder give you paperwork showing everything she was given? You should really get a stool sample checked right away. Are you aware that reputable breeders keep puppies until at least 12 weeks? They really need that time to learn socialization, manners & bite inhibition. In most states to sell a puppy at this age is illegal.

Mikki

Since your pup passed worms when you got her home, the breeder probably did deworm her along with the 5 way vaccine. I agree that a 7 way vax is too much for a pup this young. I also agree that you may have some behavioral issues due to her being removed from her mother and littermates too early, especially since she’s a JRT and they tend to be high-strung and stubborn anyway. It’s not the end of the world, it will just take more work on your part to make sure she knows how to behave. It is illegal in Illinois to sell a puppy that is less than 8 weeks old.
    http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusilstch225_605_1_22.htm#s2_2

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.