Best way to tie dogs in open truck bed?

Home Community Dogs Best way to tie dogs in open truck bed?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Lucy 16 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Lucy

I’ve taken the cap off my pickup and my two dogs are currently riding in the open bed. What’s the best way to keep them safe? I have a chain from side-to-side near the cab, but even with a short leash attached to the chain and harness, one of my dogs ended up hanging over the side of the truck when she tried to jump out. Are there any products available for this?

Sue

Put two crates back there & bungee them down all around. Put a snap on the gate. That is the ONLY way they are even half safe back there. As you know cross tying doesn’t work

Kurt

Kennel carriers or make a wooden dog box with doors and air vents like we use when hunting work good..

Lucy

Thanks for the input. That should have been a "Yeah. Duh" on my behalf. Unfortunately, the crates I’d need would cost a fortune because of their size. How do I build a wood crate that would hold both dogs?

Kurt

Sent a email with a link to show what a dog box looks like with some dimensions.Some are going to the kind sent info on but so expensive that is why use wood.

Susan

If you still use the chain method, connect them directly in the middle of the chain so they can’t reach the edge of the truck. Don’t let the leash slide from end-to-end on the chain. Of course a crate is best since they seem to freak out in the open truck.

Sue

I had a man pick up his beloved 10 yr old beagle from me one day & despite my pleadings – cross tied the dog in the center of the bed. About half an hour later I had a phone call – just screaming & sobbing! cross tie broke – dog went over the side & was drug for miles on the ground. There are, thank God, laws cropping up banning carrying any animal in an open vehicle unless in a secured crate

Mikka

i think i remember seeing a product that you attach to both sides and the dog is attached in the middle with enough room to lay down and sit.

Lucy

Bean…..if you happen to remember the name of that truck tie, please post it here, or, if possible, e-mail the link to me at: woofnmew2@yahoo.com Thanks. Lucy

Mikka

if you google "dog truck bed tether" you will get a bunch of websites so you can shop around.

Lucy

Thanks, Bean :o) I’m always out there looking up stuff for everyone else, but I pooped out when it came to researching for myself. Tether – good word. Should have thought of it.

Mikka

no problem im here to help, my fiancee just bought a pick up and im going to have to get them for my dogs as well

Lucy

Found a good site – Champion Canine Designs. They have heavy duty harnesses and a special truck tie. Fairly expensive, but may be worth the price of admission. Asked for details on testing but haven’t gotten a reply yet.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.