Bumblefoot

Home Community Small Pets Bumblefoot

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Cherry 17 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

SJ

Sorry if this is confusing and not a very informative post, Ive been very ill the last few days and am very tired… One of my guinea pigs developed a swollen foot a few months back, luckly the day it was spotted I managed to get her straight to her vet and got some pink wash (cant remember the name but have used it many times before) and later was put on Baytrial. The swelling took quite a while to go down but once she was on Baytril it stopped spreading. Now again she has a swollen foot (the other front one this time) which I noticed late last night, I cant get her to the vet at the moment as we are away, but we are near a town so there are shops and a non-guinea pig friendly vet. Anyway back to the point, over night it seems to have spead to her other front foot (which she lost a toe off it last time) and there are lessions (cant spell sorry) which look very much like bumblefoot. I have seen and helped treat bumblefoot in birds of prey befor and seen it in some rats but Ive never had to treat it in guinea pigs and was looking for any advice or other suggestions on what it could be. Thanks for reading

Andrew

Oh no!!! 🙁 Not nice must be in alot of pain. Check ths link out – Could be costly but growing a culture of the bacteria could make sure you identify the correct medication. Some suggest Baytril, but check the following: – http://www.guinealynx.com/pododermatitis.html – Hope everything is okay. Keep us psted 🙂

SJ

Thanks for the link, she doesnt seem to be limping and is acting as though she is in too much pain, but her mum died 2 weeks back (she developed cancer) and since then she has been refusing to leave the bed and has been very quite. They were always inseperable, so I think due to the fact that she is a large girl anyway and that she has been moving even less than normal this has developed. Anyway Im aiming to get her to her normal vet in the morning (theyre closed over the weekend), so hopefully I caught it quick enough. In the mean time I am just keeping her feet and cage clean and making sure that she doesnt have to move too much for her food incase it hurts too much to walk.

SJ

Took her so see her vet. He agreed that it is bumblefoot so she is on baytrial and getting her foot washed 3 to 4 times a day with diluted hibiscrub. I making sure that her cage is spotless and making sure shes ok reaching food and water. While talking to the vet he actually informed me that it was a year ago that she first got a swollen foot, which nether of us could believe. Im just so glad that I have such a good vet and such a good relationship with him!

Cherry

Glad to hear that. You feeling better by the way?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.