Cat has stopped using litter box

Home Community Cat Behavior Cat has stopped using litter box

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Trisha 17 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Trisha

Please help! My 6year old male, neutered cat has recently stopped using the litter box. It is always clean, I check it frequently. He has started going on the floor (both #1 and #2) under our basement stairs and in the drain in the shower near the stairs. I also don’t know how to get rid of the smell. What should I do about this? It is driving me nuts. Any suggestions anyone?? I am desperate!

pam

just based on the places you mentioned, my first guess would be he may be smelling "sewer gas", and trust me, a dog or cat will be attracted to that smell and "go" in that place. do you own your house or rent?

Trisha

We own. I have never noticed a sewer gas smell. I am sure his sense of smell is more sensitive than mine. I have been reading on the net that it may be a medical problem such as a urinary tract infec. I am calling vet tomorrow am. This is very unusual behavior for him.

Sue

If he is declawed, that could be the problem. do you have one more litter box than cats? I know you said you clean but do you scoop at least once a day & completely change over once a week? Did you change litter at all? Pooh is right about the smell. Vinegar is an excellent neutralizer.

Trisha

I have 2 boxes. I scoop once..sometimes 2x a day. I change whole box once a week. He is not declawed. I was always scared to do that. I thought he would get outside (which he never does) and not be able to cliimb or defend himself if a dog or another cat tried to hurt him. I tried vinegar for the smell and it seemed to help. I didn’t want to try anything harsh that he could ingest and get sick from. I figured if he got vinegar on his paws and licked them he would be ok. I have enough to worry about with all the food recalls having dogs and a cat. I am thinking he has a UTI. I am going to have him checked. I know from experience how painful those can be.

pam

you will not be able to smell the gas yourself at first, but your dog or cat can. the fact that you mentioned the shower drain specifically, is significant. good to rule out a urinary infection though. good luck……..

Trisha

He is finally using the box again. I moved both boxes to a new space and he is using the one that he normally doesn’t use much. Don’t know why that worked. Thanxxx all!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.