Interested in Piranhas, have a few questions…

Home Community People & Their Pets Interested in Piranhas, have a few questions…

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer 17 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jennifer

This is for people that actually know about them or have had them in the past, or have them now. I am interested in setting up a piranha tank in the future, and I already know the basic care of a South American aquarium set-up (water conditions, temp, etc..) I really just want to know what a healthy diet would consist of…what kind of meat? How many times a day to feed them? All the sites I went to were’nt very specific about that. Or does it even matter? I forgot to mention…I will either be getting black piranhas, or red-bellied piranhas. I’m thinking more of the red-bellies, b/c the black piranhas are more aggressive and larger. Thanks for any advice in advance!

Andrew

HI there!

Yes you need the brackish conditions for the water. How many are you getting? How big is your tank? My friend would feed all sorts to his red bellies. From pinkies to gold fish to ox heart. Another forum i use is called – corydorasworld.com – they are extreamly informative bunch. Look for Tim the Author..good chap..he should answer any strange queries you may have 🙂

Jennifer

Thanks for the tip! Well I will probably have four, since they can be aggressive towards eachother, and having larger numbers spreads out the aggression, and they recommend keeping them in pairs or more(even numbers). I will have them in a 55gal tank, and then when they out grow that, a much larger tank!

Andrew

When my friends in the past have had Piranhas they will attack each other even when there groups of 4-5!!! So a larger shoal is sometimes needed. Also remember..if one gets ill…or looks abit wobbly…then…well….it places itself on the menu to the others.

Jennifer

Yep, I guess that’s the challenging part of keeping piranhas! How big of a school would you recommend w/ what size tank?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.