Baby Pigeon

Home Community Birds Baby Pigeon

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer 17 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Alandra

My friend Sandra has a pair of pigeons. I think they are fantails. They aren’t the best parents and haven’t had any babies survive. This summer I am planning on taking one of the eggs and raising a pigeon. I was wondering if anyone had any advice.

garima

I think it would be best to let the egg hatch and let the parents take care of them unless they stop feeding the babies after they hatch. Hand rearing a baby bird is hard work so talk to an expert in your community about it.

Taylor

I had Fantails myself while ago, and I understand that they are NOT good parents. They have no instinct on how to care for a baby. You, can let the baby hatch, wait a few days, and then start handfeeding it. I suggest that you go to a pet store, and they will teach you how to properly hand feed a baby. Get Kaytee Exact baby bird formula and find a good eye dropper that has a small tip. The formula must be 105 degrees to 110 degrees. If you go any higher, it will get crop burn, which is fatale to a young bird. Buy a critter cage, (Container) use a heating pad, and make sure it’s nice and warm. Maybe 80 degrees. I wish you the best of luck.
    TBird

Alandra

Thanks guys! I gues it would be easier to start with a just hachted bird than with an egg that might not be fertile.

Jennifer

You can tell what eggs are fertile by shining a light through it, if you see veins and a dark spot, it’s fertile, if you see nothing, it’s not. And baby birds are not hard to care for, as long as you have the time, b/c baby birds need to eat at least every two hours. I had a baby mocking bird I hand raised after a storm ripped it’s nest out of a tree, killing it’s other siblings, and it was very fun, and I learned quite a bit in the process. I let it go when it learned how to fly, and it reunited with it’s mom, and it’s mom was actually feeding it! I was surprised since it was imprinted on me, b/c I found it before it had opened it’s eyes. I was thankful, b/c I didn’t know how to teach it to feed itself. Anyway, I would definitely go for the hand rearing, it’ll bond you with your bird, and if you take it before it opens it’s eyes, it will think you are its mom.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.