Urgent: beginning signs of labour

Home Community Dog Breeding & Breeds Urgent: beginning signs of labour

This topic contains 14 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Haley 16 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Christie

Okay..after vet x-ray today the vet said she was close to deleivereing..what are the warning sign that labor is impending besides a temperature drop? Should the babies be still or are they going to move around more? Thank you

Christie

maybe I should clarigy that I am looking for signs that she may be going into labour in the next few days, but till refuses to stay in her room or "nest"

Elizabeth

This info is from http://www.hilltopanimalhospital.com/whelping1.htm

SIGNS OF ONCOMING LABOR

There may be a pre-labor period 8 to 24 hours in duration. The following signs may be seen during the pre-labor period, indicating the approaching whelping.

1. The bitch becomes restless, getting up, lying down, and changing her position frequently. She may vomit from nervousness.

2. She may paw and scratch at her bedding as if she were preparing a nest. She may tear newspaper up into little pieces in her attempt to make a nest.

3. Lack of interest in even the most tempting food is usually a sure sign that whelping is approaching.

4. Rectal temperature, taken with a rectal thermometer, will fall below 990 twelve hours or less prior to whelping. If’ you start taking the bitch’s temperature twice a day after the 59th or 60th day of gestation, her temperature will begin to decrease from a normal of 1010-1020 to 990-1000. When it finally goes below 990, she will start giving birth within 12 hours.

5. Milk can be expressed from the nipple near or at the time of birth in those bitches having their first litter and about 4 days prior to whelping in those bitches which have had one or more litters previously.

Cherry

I dont know much about this but its making me go all tingly! It sounds so amazing! Good luck!!

Christie

thanks for the he;p on this one..She was making me a little nervous last night since she wouldn’t settle down and kep getting up…the babies were moving around a lot too and it seems like they were flipping over or jostling for position.

Laura

I too am looking for those signs, I have been taking
    our girls temp for about the last 3 or 4 days and today
    finally it is below 100 it was 96 at 5:30am and I just took it again and it’s now 98 but still below 100. Thank Goodness we got on debbiejensen last night and typed in the conception date and it said that tommorrow is the day. Hopefully that’s right… Congrats and keep me posted…..

Christie

Laura..what kind of dog and did she have them yet? Can you tell me what your dog did before she dropped in her temperature? Was she more clingy did you notice the milk come in? When..those kind of thing..I am at day 54 and from what the vet is saying, she looks ready to go and the babies are pretty big..you can see the x-ray on my sight. Link’s below

Laura

I have noticed that she is being a bit more clingy and today, I just got home and we have no babies yet but her temp has fallen to 98.7 so I am hoping within the next 24 I’ll be holding some new puppies. By the way our pups are yorkies.. This is our first time and we’re so excited.. Congrats and Goodluck……

Laura

I went to your web site just now and checked out the xray, wow!!!!! We’re only expecting 2-3 pups at last check. I hope all goes well and I’ll let you know when we have ours….

Christie

She’s having about ten…she’s beginnning clear discharge, but she’s still eating her temp was around 98 last night but no babies this morning..so kinda getting worried.today (easter) is only day 57 hopefully she’ll be okay, since someone is home.

leanne

Dont worry that shes late. Bitches whelp from 57-72 days and if she had them before 57days they may not survive so shes perfectly on track god luck and just email if u need any help at all

Christie

well..we have babies..all 11 of them!! YIKES!! anyway I have a few pics posted on the website.

Laura

omg 11!!!! We had ours Saturday and we got three boys.. There were 5 all together but the 2 girls didn’t make it. So how many girls/boys? Congrats I hope everyone is fine..

Christie

She had 11 6 girls and 5 boys, but one of the boys has a very bad hare-lip and may not make it or may require surgey that I simply can’t afford. This is why I advocate spaying and neutering..I know I can’t afford these things and the lovely owners of the bitch don’t help with anything including the bills she accruded before she was bred.

Haley

You guys, please get your dog(s) altered as soon as they are ready (you have to wait a certain amount of time after they have their pups – obviously until they are completely weaned). Pet overpopulation is why pets are dying in shelters. until people learn to spay/neuter, more and more will die b/c of people breeding their pets, whether it’s accidental or intentional. One litter will cause 67,000 dogs to die within 6 years. Just ONE. Please don’t allow the possibility of causing more pets in shelters to die than you already have…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.