allergies

Home Community People & Their Pets allergies

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Elizabeth 17 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Linda

My dog seems to have allergies. It always seems that they get bad right around March and April. A vet told me to use Benadryl, but I’m wondering if anyone has more natural ideas that will make this precious dog of mine feel better?

Susan

It sounds like grass and weed pollens. You could wash and brush her more frequently to get rid of the pollen. Even if it’s just a quick rinse. Benedryl is good but slows them down. I don’t know of any natural remedies. What are her symptoms? It’s possible that allergy shots could help. But if it’s only a couple months then benedryl would be your best bet.

Ann

If you want to try something natural, maybe Bromelain would help. I have very bad Allergies this time of year myself. Antihistimines were starting to cause Kidney problems, so I had to find something else. This is a Pineapple Enzyme. It has helped my Allergies quite a bit. My 20 year old cat, also has Allergies this time of year. I’ve given him a little piece of the tablet without any adverse reaction. It did stop his sneezing. I think this generally comes in 500 MG. Depending on the size of your dog, you may have to experiment somewhat, until you find the amount to make him more comfortable this time of year. Start out with a smaller dose, and if you don’t see any improvement, then try a larger one. Check with your Vet first, just in case there is a known dog concern with this product. Good luck

Elizabeth

All of the "natural" allergy remedies I have come across are just herbal… and I don’t know about you, but I trust Benadryl more than some herbal concoction that hasn’t been FDA tested. Also, all of those I have seen say they work by increasing the immune system, but that doesn’t make sense to me b/c it’s your dog’s immune system that’s attacking him — that’s what an allergy IS! If it’s a skin allergy, my vet gave me something called Butler GentaSpray which worked pretty well for my fellow.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.