Need advise on house breaking!!

Home Community People & Their Pets Need advise on house breaking!!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer 17 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Jennifer

I currently have a 4 month old American Pitbull Terrier whom I am having trouble house training. I have tried everything, and I am getting extremely frustrated! Crate training has not worked what-so-ever—He has a crate that is not too big, and he will urinate and deficate inside of it and just lay in it, like it doesn’t bother him any. He even plays with and eats his feces! He doesn’t respond to being scolded, he just looks at me and goes about playing with my other APBT(when he’s out of his crate). I’ve tried taking him out every 30 minutes, after his meals, playtime etc..Is it just the stubborness of his breed? I had a lab once, that I trained 75% in just 2 months of working with him. I have had this dog since he was 8wks and he has not learned one bit. Anyone have any suggestions that you’ve tried and it worked for you? Or does anyone have experience with housebreaking APBT puppies? I desperately need help!! Thanks so much!

Sue

First of all, he is only 4 months old so there is still hope. How long did you try the every 30 minutes? You must be very consistent? How long is he in the crate at a time? How much exercise is he getting? What kind? You should not be scolding him at all. especially if you aren’t there on the spot

Jennifer

I only scold him when I catch him. He exercises as often as he likes. I have another year and a half year old dog he is constantly wrestling around with. Our place is a decent size, so he has plenty of room to play, plus there’s also outside when the weather is not too hot or too cold, and my husband and I take both of them on walks. I have been taking him out often since he was 8 wks until a few weeks ago, when I just gave up, b/c it seemed to be doing no good. My husband wants him to stay outside now, b/c our house is always smelling like urine and feces….we just can’t keep up with him, with this problem. I was hoping someone could give me some ideas. I know he is only a puppy, and in time he will hopefully be more responsive. Pit bulls are very difficult at a young age. I just haven’t a clue when it comes to training, I guess. I don’t want to keep him outside, as I disagree with dogs being outside all the time, but until I find another solution, he’s gonna have to. I will not give him up, I know once they are out of the "puppy stage", they are loyal, and obedient dogs. My other one is very good in the house.

Jill

The only thing I can suggest is patience! My little Weimaraner was really tough to housebreak, and we crate trained too. She was ALWAYS peeing in her crate. We tried giving her treats after she went potty outside, and constantly followed her around the house inside. We found she ended up focusing too much on the treats though and wasn’t catching on to the fact that she was out there for a reason- to go potty. We finally got her on a pretty strict schedule where we feed her three times a day, and after feeding her we walk her out to her "spot" in the backyard and wait saying "go potty". This could take up to twenty minutes/half hour sometimes… but as soon as she went- we praised her, gave her lots of kisses and ran inside right away. She eventually learned that all she had to do was go potty and she got to come inside. Now she is awesome and goes within 5 minutes of us being outside and giving the command, and she is no longer on a leash when we do it. The only other thing I suggest is if you try this, make sure you bring her out at other times to play and walk her because that way she won’t always think being outside is just about going potty, but will learn that playtime is playtime and potty time is potty time. We have a Boston Terrier that’s a year older and my fiancee would bring him out and give the command and he was great about setting a good example- so maybe you’re other dog can be your good example!
    Good luck! 🙂

Sue

so how long is he in the crate at a time? Feeding a premium food will create less poop too. Walks normally stimulate the bowels to move altho he shouldn’t have been going on any before.

Jennifer

Thanks! Maybe I just stopped too soon. He is in the stage where the only thing that matters is his play time! My husband is always complaining about the smell in the house, but he will be deploying soon, so I will have plenty of time to work with him without annoying my husband.

Jennifer

Well he didn’t start going for walks until about 3 months, and I didn’t take him further than he wanted to. If he got tired, or just stopped, I would carry him back home. He is basically crated at night, and he sleeps all through the night wonderfully. During the day he is crated only when I am out, which isn’t very much during the weekdays. I feed him nutro natural choice lamb and rice, large breed puppy food. I was told that that was a decent food–??? But I hear a lot of debates on it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.